Do I definitely need work experience to do a masters in criminal psychology?

Watch
Tiffany Lorraine
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi I have just graduated from an English degree with a 2:1. Next year I am wanting to do criminal psychology at masters level. The problem is I'm trying to get experience by asking local mental health places if i can do work experience for them but unfortunately none of them are getting back to me.

Do you think universities would still consider my application if I have done a online course for it and and an English degree and plenty of experience with writing but no in work experience with psychology? It's just very difficult to gain any experience when nobody is offering any. But I've heard you need experience in the field to get onto the masters. I do have experience as I have severe mental health conditions myself and I've had counselling for it in the past. Also friends and family come to me for in depth mental health advice and it's rare that I cannot help them because of my knowledge so would that count as work experience or does it have to be from an official page?
lojawa
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
Best thing to do would be to choose a selection of Unis that you might be interested in studying at, look at their entry requirements, then ring their admissions office to discuss your questions. Most Unis will be different.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Do you mean criminology or forensic psychology?? The two are broadly similar but focus on different aspects of offending. Criminal psychology is more of an American term.

If you're referring to a masters in Forensic Psychology then no, you don't need work experience to be offered a place. A fair amount had experience in psychology more generally on the course I did, but only a handful of us had direct experience working with offenders, and there plenty who had no experience whatsoever.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 2 months ago
Nerol
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Tiffany Lorraine)
Hi I have just graduated from an English degree with a 2:1. Next year I am wanting to do criminal psychology at masters level. The problem is I'm trying to get experience by asking local mental health places if i can do work experience for them but unfortunately none of them are getting back to me.

Do you think universities would still consider my application if I have done a online course for it and and an English degree and plenty of experience with writing but no in work experience with psychology? It's just very difficult to gain any experience when nobody is offering any. But I've heard you need experience in the field to get onto the masters. I do have experience as I have severe mental health conditions myself and I've had counselling for it in the past. Also friends and family come to me for in depth mental health advice and it's rare that I cannot help them because of my knowledge so would that count as work experience or does it have to be from an official page?
If you're interested in a career in psychology, the first thing you will need is Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership with the BPS, which involves completing a BPS-accredited psychology undergraduate degree or a conversion MSc. Without this as a base, you will be very limited with what positions you could get in the future.

Also, you are talking about mental health experience, which is not quite the same as psychology experience. Knowledge of mental health conditions is one thing, knowledge of psychological theories, studies and research methodologies, and everything else that goes into a psychology degree, is something else.

I would have a look at career options you are interested in and look at the requirements for these roles. If it is psychology you are interested, looking into conversion courses would be a good place to start.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (67)
33.5%
Yes - a trusted person (54)
27%
No (52)
26%
I'm not sure (27)
13.5%

Watched Threads