Possible cifas cat 6 marker, life after 6 years

Watch
clovers2104
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi. Hope everyone is well. I have a few questions about a possible CIFAS cat 6 marker. I’ve been on every google website but can’t seem to find a proper answer. It’s more to do with life after the 6 years. maybe someone will be able to advise.

1. After the 6 years is up, does the marker completely disappear and get removed and it’s as if it wasn’t there ?
2. after 6 years, is it possible to apply for jobs in the finance sector if this marker has expired or will it flag up and decline jobs ? Studying business and finance and very worried my career and future has been ruined due to me trusting the wrong person who caused this.
3. Will I be able to normally get a mortgage after this 6 years is up?
Thanks a lot for any help
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by clovers2104)
Hi. Hope everyone is well. I have a few questions about a possible CIFAS cat 6 marker. I’ve been on every google website but can’t seem to find a proper answer. It’s more to do with life after the 6 years. maybe someone will be able to advise.

1. After the 6 years is up, does the marker completely disappear and get removed and it’s as if it wasn’t there ?
2. after 6 years, is it possible to apply for jobs in the finance sector if this marker has expired or will it flag up and decline jobs ? Studying business and finance and very worried my career and future has been ruined due to me trusting the wrong person who caused this.
1. Yes.
2. Not necessarily. Just because the entry has been wiped from the register, doesn't mean that you won't be asked during an application, 'have you ever had an entry made against you on CIFAS or another fraud database?' And only a fool would answer 'no', when in fact the answer was 'yes'.
3. Ibid. I think after six years, there wouldn't be a problem with a standard mortgage application though.
clovers2104
Rep:
?
Thank you so much this calmed me down a bit. Of course I will make sure to let them know during a job interview etc and I will explain the whole story. Yeah hopefully mortgage will be fine after this time. I still have valid credit cards, do you think I can still use them to built up my credit score for these 6 years?
Thanks 😊
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much this calmed me down a bit. Of course I will make sure to let them know during a job interview etc and I will explain the whole story. Yeah hopefully mortgage will be fine after this time. I still have valid credit cards, do you think I can still use them to built up my credit score for these 6 years?
Thanks 😊
Yes, absolutely and that's a good idea.

Don't worry too much about it - a CIFAS entry isn't a death sentence. Things will resolve with time
LottieLot
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

What makes you think you have a CIFAS marker? Did you do a DSAR with CIFAS? Did your bank account close? Have you got other accounts open? What exactly happened?
RedGiant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I gave him one of my other accounts
This is all you had to say really.

No chance of a successful appeal I'm afraid, you've committed blatant fraud (bypassing KYC) and you have facilitated low level money laundering. The story of "trading" or "crypto" and the promise of easy money in return for your bank details is a textbook example of a money mule scam (your exact story has cropped up on these forums before, e.g. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5635082).
Last edited by RedGiant; 1 month ago
clovers2104
Rep:
?
Oh okay I currently still have monzo so hopefully that’s not going to be closed or I have no clue what I’ll do.
And I know I still have 6 years to worry about the career thing, but I am in first year studying finance now and have become really stressed that I won’t even be able to ever get a job in the future. Should I change course ? :/
Either way thank you for replying.
RedGiant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh okay I currently still have monzo so hopefully that’s not going to be closed or I have no clue what I’ll do.
And I know I still have 6 years to worry about the career thing, but I am in first year studying finance now and have become really stressed that I won’t even be able to ever get a job in the future. Should I change course ? :/
Either way thank you for replying.
I'm pretty sure Monzo and most other major banks do quarterly CIFAS NFD checks, yes (by law all banks also have to check the immigration portal quarterly, it is done automatically which is why your main account was shut down months later). You can try to find eMoney products that work for basic credits and debits but to be honest these are often limited. I'm afraid I can't comment on your choice of course but you might as well stick with it if it's right for you, not every employer in regulated sectors will check CIFAS. Sorry to not be more empathetic, you'll just have to do what you can, it's a tough situation.
Last edited by RedGiant; 1 month ago
brjf
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’d contact trading standards, you’ve been scammed
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by brjf)
I’d contact trading standards, you’ve been scammed
No. Trading Standards have nothing to do with random crypto fraudsters. Also, the OP acknowledges that they participated voluntarily in the offence, albeit through naivety.
clovers2104
Rep:
?
I’ve read on these forums that some people have not had their monzo accounts shut for years after their CIFAS markers, but I’m not going to get hopeful. Should probably start looking into alternatives. So far I’ve read about credit union, pockit, cash plus.
And no problem you’ve been helpful. It is what it is. Thanks for ur time 😊
brjf
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
No. Trading Standards have nothing to do with random crypto fraudsters. Also, the OP acknowledges that they participated voluntarily in the offence, albeit through naivety.
Oh I see
Msalah 11
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi I’m in a similar situation to you but I was naive enough to think that quick money can be made by giving your account details away, this happened in 2019 august and since then my life has been hell and I’ve been depressed. I still currently don’t have a bank account as no banks is accepting me therefore I cannot work or study or do anything. Any ideas on what banks even if I have to pay a monthly free would Accept me? I’m getting to the point now where I just think what’s the point in living anymore after that one stupid thing I did. I definitely deserved to be punished for what I did but for a mistake I made I don’t feel I deserve to be having to live like this for the next atleast 4 more years. Also because I’ve been repeatedly trying for all the bank account not knowing about Cifas until June this year my credit score has gone super low so any suggestions on how to build my credit score would be appreciated as well.
Last edited by Msalah 11; 1 month ago
clovers2104
Rep:
?
Hi. I totally know how depressing and alone it feels. Atleast you have 4 years left not the full 6, it will fly by. I’ve been doing research since my current bank account will probably get closed this year too.
I’ve seen: Pockit, cash plus (have fees but they’re not that terrible) , your local credit union (thought not too sure how that works as haven’t tried yet) Just google pre paid cards as they usually don’t do credit checks, but they still give you an acc number and sort code for your wages and other bac transfers to go in.
As for credit score, did you have some credit cards already before the cifas marker? Hopefully yes, I’d keep using them (25% of credit limit) and paying it back in the same month as I’ve read this builds your score up. If not then I don’t think credit card companies will accept you because of the marker from what I’ve read but not 100% sure.
I was so depressed at first but I’m slowly accepting this and using it as a lesson to literally not trust anyone ever lol. I keep telling myself that in the grand scheme of things, it’s not that bad. We’re still alive and can enjoy the little moments. Hope you figure something out for ur wages etc, pockit should work from what I’ve read
clovers2104
Rep:
?
I’ve now read pockit works with another company who are registered with CIFAS, but you could try.
Msalah 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi. I totally know how depressing and alone it feels. Atleast you have 4 years left not the full 6, it will fly by. I’ve been doing research since my current bank account will probably get closed this year too.
I’ve seen: Pockit, cash plus (have fees but they’re not that terrible) , your local credit union (thought not too sure how that works as haven’t tried yet) Just google pre paid cards as they usually don’t do credit checks, but they still give you an acc number and sort code for your wages and other bac transfers to go in.
As for credit score, did you have some credit cards already before the cifas marker? Hopefully yes, I’d keep using them (25% of credit limit) and paying it back in the same month as I’ve read this builds your score up. If not then I don’t think credit card companies will accept you because of the marker from what I’ve read but not 100% sure.
I was so depressed at first but I’m slowly accepting this and using it as a lesson to literally not trust anyone ever lol. I keep telling myself that in the grand scheme of things, it’s not that bad. We’re still alive and can enjoy the little moments. Hope you figure something out for ur wages etc, pockit should work from what I’ve read
Ok thank you so much I guess I’ll have to go with pockit for now.I still don’t know though how them people sleep at night knowing what they’re doing to young peoples lives. Heartless people. Only problem as well is I was thinking of getting a current account that I pay monthly into but I cannot see any that are reliable. And from my understanding pocket is a pre paid card right?
clovers2104
Rep:
?
Yeah pockit is a pre paid card and so is cash plus. Then your wage can go in there normally. Pretty sure difference between current account and pre paid card is that pre paid cards don’t give u option of overdraft or loans etc.
As for current accounts, I think they’re mostly provided by actual banks, I’ve read that some credit unions provide them.

https://www.the-record.org.uk/unlock...ud-conviction/
Msalah 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah pockit is a pre paid card and so is cash plus. Then your wage can go in there normally. Pretty sure difference between current account and pre paid card is that pre paid cards don’t give u option of overdraft or loans etc.
As for current accounts, I think they’re mostly provided by actual banks, I’ve read that some credit unions provide them.

https://www.the-record.org.uk/unlock...ud-conviction/
Ok thank you so much by the way for the insight.I guess these next 4 years I’ll start on my apprenticeship,progress from there and when my marker is removed I can build my credit and hopefully be able to bank with a high end bank . Only thing I worry about now though is that well I’ve been thinking about wanting move out and live on my own for a while now and I guess that won’t be possible probably for atleast another 6 years from now as my credit will need repairing. I say all this like I’m really old but I’m only 20 and I’ve wanted to live on my own for for ages now knowing it would only be realistically possible literally at this age now but I’ve messed that up and I’m going to have to pay the price for however long it takes me now.
clovers2104
Rep:
?
(Original post by Msalah 11)
Ok thank you so much by the way for the insight.I guess these next 4 years I’ll start on my apprenticeship,progress from there and when my marker is removed I can build my credit and hopefully be able to bank with a high end bank . Only thing I worry about now though is that well I’ve been thinking about wanting move out and live on my own for a while now and I guess that won’t be possible probably for atleast another 6 years from now as my credit will need repairing. I say all this like I’m really old but I’m only 20 and I’ve wanted to live on my own for for ages now knowing it would only be realistically possible literally at this age now but I’ve messed that up and I’m going to have to pay the price for however long it takes me now.
Since you’re only 20 I doubt you would be applying for mortgage even if u never had the marker? Some private lets and agencies don’t even check your credit. But if you wanted to get a mortgage etc then it might be a bit harder. You could also maybe try housing associations though usually takes quite long.
struggler07
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve read on these forums that some people have not had their monzo accounts shut for years after their CIFAS markers, but I’m not going to get hopeful. Should probably start looking into alternatives. So far I’ve read about credit union, pockit, cash plus.
And no problem you’ve been helpful. It is what it is. Thanks for ur time 😊
Pockit is now on the cifas list
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (150)
54.74%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (38)
13.87%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.31%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.49%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.74%

Watched Threads