The Student Room Group

foundation year or gap year? medicine

did super bad on UCAT, but I still want to go to a decent Uni, I’m predicted 3 A’s. My score isn’t really good enough to apply anywhere, but I am eligible to do a foundation year in certain universities?

The price gap between both are very mad as the extra year in foundation costs 9K, but the gap year is essentially free except I’ll pay to do the BMAT & UCAT.

On one hand if I smash my A-Levels, I may regret taking a foundation year cause I mean an extra year is kinda long whereas I literally have trauma from my UCAT what if I take a gap year and fail AGAIN?

My teachers recommended foundation, but a lot of my friends & family dont really see the point?

Is there a point in even taking the foundation year? Would a gap year be the best option?

Any help is really appreciated thanks so much
In terms of money for the foundation year, it kind of balances itself out, as you’ll get an NHS bursary for the last 2 years of your course. Becoming a doctor is long anyway, you have to go through at least 10 years of uni and training combined. BUT a foundation year STILL requires the UCAT

A gap year is good to consider if you don’t get into any med schools this year, you have more experience with the UCAT, and can use it to strengthen your PS

If you don’t mind me asking, what did you get for your UCAT, and surely if you end up doing well in the BMAT you can still apply to standard medicine?
Original post by Hotheaded
In terms of money for the foundation year, it kind of balances itself out, as you’ll get an NHS bursary for the last 2 years of your course. Becoming a doctor is long anyway, you have to go through at least 10 years of uni and training combined. BUT a foundation year STILL requires the UCAT

A gap year is good to consider if you don’t get into any med schools this year, you have more experience with the UCAT, and can use it to strengthen your PS

If you don’t mind me asking, what did you get for your UCAT, and surely if you end up doing well in the BMAT you can still apply to standard medicine?

oh yeah I know but the cutoff isn’t that high I got like 2430 (?? Around there) which is no good & I have mocks around the BMAT which I know is such a poor excuse but I just want to put my A-Levels first, as I neglected them all throughout summer and will probably pay the price in my mocks next week so yeah.

I didn’t know about the bursary thing so thanks
Original post by hannahbbk134
oh yeah I know but the cutoff isn’t that high I got like 2430 (?? Around there) which is no good & I have mocks around the BMAT which I know is such a poor excuse but I just want to put my A-Levels first, as I neglected them all throughout summer and will probably pay the price in my mocks next week so yeah.

I didn’t know about the bursary thing so thanks

You are still able to get into standard medicine with 2430, it’s just about applying strategically! :smile: Research universities with low UCAT cut offs e.g keele and Liverpool. And of course your alevels are the most important thing, BMAT is only relevant for specific unis.
Original post by Hotheaded
You are still able to get into standard medicine with 2430, it’s just about applying strategically! :smile: Research universities with low UCAT cut offs e.g keele and Liverpool. And of course your alevels are the most important thing, BMAT is only relevant for specific unis.

Thank you I’ll do more research, but many websites said my average was too low which is why I considered a gap year or foundation
Reply 5
Thank you I’ll do more research, but many websites said my average was too low which is why I considered a gap year or foundation

Look at Keele, Sunderland, Aston, UEA, Plymouth, ARU, though this all depends on your other stats
Original post by GANFYD
Look at Keele, Sunderland, Aston, UEA, Plymouth, ARU, though this all depends on your other stats

like my gcses? I got 1 9, 5 8’s, 2 7s and 1 6 & 1 5 (not the greatest but they’re alright) but I thought many universities would ignore them seeing as I didn’t actually sit thr exam
Reply 7
like my gcses? I got 1 9, 5 8’s, 2 7s and 1 6 & 1 5 (not the greatest but they’re alright) but I thought many universities would ignore them seeing as I didn’t actually sit thr exam

And your A levels.
Post on the megathread, as per the guidance in the first post and people will advise
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6679038

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending