The Student Room Group

How to soften carrots for a chicken casserole?

One of the dishes that I cook is a chicken casserole, in which I put the chicken, sauce, carrots and onions into a dish together and into the over to cook for an hour. The carrots always come out hard, despite how thin I cut them. Is there any advice on how to soften the carrots before they go into the oven with the chicken?
Try boiling the carrots a bit. Think the correct term is par-boiling.
you could also fry off the onions and carrots before putting them in the dish to give them a head start and a bit more flavour from the caramelisation. Add the sauce in to the pan, after the veg have been cooking for a while, to get that up to temperature too
Original post by RatLadyy
One of the dishes that I cook is a chicken casserole, in which I put the chicken, sauce, carrots and onions into a dish together and into the over to cook for an hour. The carrots always come out hard, despite how thin I cut them. Is there any advice on how to soften the carrots before they go into the oven with the chicken?

Did you fry the carrot pieces long enough in a pan to soften them. That is everything I am used to do. You can boil the pieces for a short while in a pot and fry then, although it is a complicate step for carrots.

Quick Reply

Latest