The Student Room Group

Access to HE and A/AS Levels for Compiuter Science

I've started an Access to HE course in Computing, with my goal being to go to a good university next year to study Computer Science!

I've spoken to the university and they do accept Access courses to CS on a case-by-case basis, but have also said they would strongly prefer I also had A Level Maths for CS. (So to reiterate it's not absolutely required per-say, but they would like to see it as a form of maths qualification)

My Access course does cover a graded module on Advanced Mathematics, and a graded module on Mathematics for IT. Do you think this would be enough to prove math ability for CS?

I also have the option to self study A level math's and sit the exam next year, but that will be extremely hard alongside an access course I think.

I could also maybe take AS Level maths, that would give me some extra UCAS points alongside my Access course but would it be enough to be considered do you think?

I want to choose a path to go down because it'll be too late soon, I don't want to apply and get turned down because of not enough math qualifications, and I don't want to try study an A/AS Level alongside my course for no reason at the risk of dropping my quality of work on my access course?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by gyuigygh2
I dont know much im just a kcl studnet going into year 3. Before this year you just needed AAA with no maths if u had computing. But now they want A*A*A and they require to maths. Personally this chnage, makes me feel doing A level maths is a good idea. But if you've spoken to them very recently and explained your situation maybe they will take a chance. I don't know what your maths covers but you will need calculus and probabilty for some courses such as intro to robotics, signals and systems and a some of the AI ones. If you stick to the software modules (and stuff like Internet systems, compilers...) you won't need a level maths. They seem to have sort of removed the maths modules in first year of uni perhaps because they are relying on prior maths knowledge, im not sure.

From what I can see so far, the Advanced Mathematics module covers: Algebra, Quadrratics, Geometry and Graphs, Differentiation and Integration.
The other module: Mathematics for Computing covers denary integers.

Just hoping to hear back and get a clear answer on if I should study on my own for more qualifications instead of worrying about it lol
Original post by BradM99
From what I can see so far, the Advanced Mathematics module covers: Algebra, Quadrratics, Geometry and Graphs, Differentiation and Integration.
The other module: Mathematics for Computing covers denary integers.

Just hoping to hear back and get a clear answer on if I should study on my own for more qualifications instead of worrying about it lol

Sorry I was rambling on about kcl coz i read another question and misread this one.

The advanced maths seems good. Differentiation and Integration should leave you comfortable to take most courses at uni (depending on how in depth it is) and as far as A level is concerned the advanced maths seems to cover the main bits (assuming you have some knowledge of gcse probability). If they said they will consider it then you then it should be OK. If you're really not doing a level maths and you really wanna show some more interest in maths you could learn about some more about a particular field such as linear algebra (it's not covered in a level maths but it's used in AI and robotics a lot so it will strengthen your case if the uni offers modules in that) and talk about it in your personal statement. At the end of they day it depends on uni, if you can ask them specifically if that's enough then that's the only way. Usually unis have a maths module in year 1 that goes over a required maths stuff anyways.
Reply 3
Original post by username5829835
Sorry I was rambling on about kcl coz i read another question and misread this one.

The advanced maths seems good. Differentiation and Integration should leave you comfortable to take most courses at uni (depending on how in depth it is) and as far as A level is concerned the advanced maths seems to cover the main bits (assuming you have some knowledge of gcse probability). If they said they will consider it then you then it should be OK. If you're really not doing a level maths and you really wanna show some more interest in maths you could learn about some more about a particular field such as linear algebra (it's not covered in a level maths but it's used in AI and robotics a lot so it will strengthen your case if the uni offers modules in that) and talk about it in your personal statement. At the end of they day it depends on uni, if you can ask them specifically if that's enough then that's the only way. Usually unis have a maths module in year 1 that goes over a required maths stuff anyways.

This is some good advice thanks a lot, I'll wait for a reply from the uni and go from there!

Quick Reply

Latest