The Student Room Group

Psychology vs Sociology A level

Need help choosing between sociology and psychology a levels. Which is more interesting, harder etc. (both AQA at my school)
I didn't do sociology but I could answer questions about AQA psychology if you'd like.
Reply 2
Original post by ashtolga23
I didn't do sociology but I could answer questions about AQA psychology if you'd like.

Yes please! How hard did you find it to learn and apply the content? (I’m going to be doing the whole Alevel course in one year instead of two) How much maths & science is there? Was the content enjoyable? What’s the mark scheme like? Is it vague or easy to work with? If you could go back would you have changed your choice or would you stick with psychology? Sorry for the overbearing amount of questions i’m freaking out.
Original post by priyaaaaa
Yes please! How hard did you find it to learn and apply the content? (I’m going to be doing the whole Alevel course in one year instead of two) How much maths & science is there? Was the content enjoyable? What’s the mark scheme like? Is it vague or easy to work with? If you could go back would you have changed your choice or would you stick with psychology? Sorry for the overbearing amount of questions i’m freaking out.

It's no problem!

I didn't find it too hard at all. There's a fair bit of content but still not as much as some other courses, and you can cut down on revision time if you work smarter not harder (if you want any advice from me then I just linked my thread).

Not much maths at all, just some basic statistics. Depends what you mean by science really; obviously psychology is a soft science in itself, but there's only one bit of biology (biopsychology), maybe a few names of medications, and you have to judge how scientific something is sometimes but you'll get the hang of that (it's just stuff like "he used a lab study so it was controlled and scientific").

I found it very enjoyable and wouldn't change it for the world.

I also think the mark scheme is pretty good to work with.
I've just finished year 13 and did both psychology and sociology. Athough both content heavy and essay based, psychology essays are more structured whereas sociology essays are more flowy. Psychology is more scientific (particularly biopsychology) and has a bit of maths. I personally found sociology more interesting whereas for psychology the content is more interesting in year two than year one, though the relevance of the content makes both interesting
Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have

Quick Reply