The Student Room Group

Getting first job in healthcare with no experience (in mid-40s!)

I'm looking to change careers into healthcare and eventually want to train as a physio. I'm in my mid-40s. I would like to get a healthcare band 2 role - not totally fussy what, physio assistant would be great but any kind of support worker post as long as there's not too much squeam factor :biggrin: - but have no previous healthcare experience. How do I get a first job?!

I've been emailing people who are the contact for vacancies asking to shadow or saying I have no experience in healthcare but plenty in life/other customer focused work etc. and I'm just not hearing back.

Any tips?
Reply 1
Original post by theboakster
I'm looking to change careers into healthcare and eventually want to train as a physio. I'm in my mid-40s. I would like to get a healthcare band 2 role - not totally fussy what, physio assistant would be great but any kind of support worker post as long as there's not too much squeam factor :biggrin: - but have no previous healthcare experience. How do I get a first job?!

I've been emailing people who are the contact for vacancies asking to shadow or saying I have no experience in healthcare but plenty in life/other customer focused work etc. and I'm just not hearing back.

Any tips?

Hi!
My first support role was as a support worker for adults with learning disabilities. I had no relevant experience, but the company was happy to train me from scratch. They were more interested in personal qualities and values. It did involve a lot of personal cares, and I know it's not exactly the field you are interested in, but some kind of care/support role like this could be a good way in. I was in that company for 9 months before moving to a band 2 NHS support worker role on a psychiatric ward. I also completed a Care Certificate qualification while doing that role.

Alternatively, my mum got into healthcare by working as a receptionist at a GP surgery. She then trained in phlebotomy and later qualified as a healthcare assistant. So looking at admin roles within the healthcare sector could be another potential way in.
Reply 2
Original post by Nerol
Hi!
My first support role was as a support worker for adults with learning disabilities. I had no relevant experience, but the company was happy to train me from scratch. They were more interested in personal qualities and values. It did involve a lot of personal cares, and I know it's not exactly the field you are interested in, but some kind of care/support role like this could be a good way in. I was in that company for 9 months before moving to a band 2 NHS support worker role on a psychiatric ward. I also completed a Care Certificate qualification while doing that role.

Alternatively, my mum got into healthcare by working as a receptionist at a GP surgery. She then trained in phlebotomy and later qualified as a healthcare assistant. So looking at admin roles within the healthcare sector could be another potential way in.

Ah thanks so much - so helpful! I did wonder about doing some care work at my local care home, but I was a bit put off by the personal care element. But maybe it just takes some getting used to. I have had a kid so I've done the whole poo and puke thing anyway!

I do have a ton of admin experience (about 20 years worth) but I wasn't sure whether there were easy ways from admin to more practical careers, so it's good to hear your mum's experience.

Thank you for sharing!
Reply 3
Original post by theboakster
Ah thanks so much - so helpful! I did wonder about doing some care work at my local care home, but I was a bit put off by the personal care element. But maybe it just takes some getting used to. I have had a kid so I've done the whole poo and puke thing anyway!

I do have a ton of admin experience (about 20 years worth) but I wasn't sure whether there were easy ways from admin to more practical careers, so it's good to hear your mum's experience.

Thank you for sharing!

The personal care does take some getting used to! I never thought I would want to do a job like that, but actually really enjoyed it! It was always just a way in for me - I knew it would be the easiest place to start, and it has been so worth it! I'm starting a role as an Assistant Psychologist next week!

Good luck with everything!
Reply 4
Original post by Nerol
The personal care does take some getting used to! I never thought I would want to do a job like that, but actually really enjoyed it! It was always just a way in for me - I knew it would be the easiest place to start, and it has been so worth it! I'm starting a role as an Assistant Psychologist next week!

Good luck with everything!

oooh good luck with your new role!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending