The Student Room Group

Passed driving test, but feel like I should've failed

This is a bit of a weird one. I passed my driving test yesterday, but the more I think about I feel as though I should've failed.
I got 6 minors, but one of the minors was 'rolling back on a hill', I had a hill start from the side, there were no parked cars or moving cars around, I apparently put the car in gear, then knocked it out by accident, I rolled back as I couldn't find the biting point put the brakes on fixed (put in 1st gear) and set off again, when I was telling my family this they were saying that I should've failed, has anyone else done this on a driving test and still passed. I also stalled before entering a mini-roundabout as it looked like the car on the exit to the left was going to pull out but it stopped all of a sudden, again when I told my family this they said I should've failed.
Everyone makes mistakes and no one is perfect. I am sorry that you feel like this about your driving test and I hope that you will continue to get better at driving
Reply 2
Can’t imagine many people appeal because they passed! Trust the examiner rather than your family
Reply 3
You can roll back about an entire cars length and it not be serious, as long as there are no other cars and pedestrians around you.
It sounds like the second one is scarcely your fault. Sometimes other drivers just force you to drive a little erratically.
So you've got a bureaucratic hurdle out of the way. Great. Doesn't mean you have to stop working on your driving skills - either with help or just your own study and practice.
Just passing your test has never been enough the phrase 'congratulations you've passed your test, now you start learning to drive' is an old phrase that wasn't invented just for you.
Driven on a motorway? at night much? In fog? On snow or ice? Plenty to practice and improve.
Chill. I failed 4 times when I felt I should have passed 2/4. It cost me a lot of money. It's a good thing that you passed and realised this - it will help you become a better driver. Keep working on this and you will get better :smile:
Just get that P sticker and allow yourself to improve. You're good enough so don't worry.
Reply 8
Congratulations on passing! I’m sure your examiner had their reasons for passing you. You’re good enough to drive on the road. Like the previous comments, use this time to improve on your errors. Have an experienced family member or friend next to you during your practice drives if you don’t feel confident driving on your own just yet.
Passing the driving test is just the first part of learning. All it says is during the test you were safe enough to let you go out and start learning yourself.

Do pass plus if you feel you want more lessons/practise.
Original post by nad998
This is a bit of a weird one. I passed my driving test yesterday, but the more I think about I feel as though I should've failed.
I got 6 minors, but one of the minors was 'rolling back on a hill', I had a hill start from the side, there were no parked cars or moving cars around, I apparently put the car in gear, then knocked it out by accident, I rolled back as I couldn't find the biting point put the brakes on fixed (put in 1st gear) and set off again, when I was telling my family this they were saying that I should've failed, has anyone else done this on a driving test and still passed. I also stalled before entering a mini-roundabout as it looked like the car on the exit to the left was going to pull out but it stopped all of a sudden, again when I told my family this they said I should've failed.

As you've said, there was no parked cars or moving cars around you when you rolled back so it's a minor. Rolling back is not a fail, it's only a fail if there's a car behind you and you roll back a considerable amount. Like you said you pressed the brake so that's fine.

As with stalling, stalling is only a fail if you are holding up traffic behind you. If you recover from a stall well then it will go down as a minor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending