The Student Room Group

Struggling with my university choices

I am the most indecisive person and I can't figure out which university is for me. I have managed to do most of the 'narrowing it down' part but am unable to find honest views about the uni's left and which has a good society life as well.

I want to do children's nursing and these are my choices:
Manchester
Birmingham
Southampton
York
Nottingham

So if you can help me in any way possible , i.e. pros and cons, i'd really appreciate your assistance xx
(edited 2 years ago)
You are so good, you are able to apply for Oxford nursing, it is a good choice
Original post by hhollyb
I am the most indecisive person and I can't figure out which university is for me. I have managed to do most of the 'narrowing it down' part but am unable to find honest views about the uni's left and which has a good society life as well.

I want to do children's nursing and these are my choices:
Manchester
Birmingham
Southampton
York
Nottingham

So if you can help me in any way possible , i.e. pros and cons, i'd really appreciate your assistance xx

Surely you don't need to narrow it down so much at this stage since you apply to 5 unis through UCAS? See what offers you get back and I imagine there is an interview for children's nursing so you can see what sort of vibe you get from that or from attending Open Days.

I will just note that Southampton and York won't be as lively as the others, and York is the most attractive city (in my opinion) but really you need to visit the ones that most interest you.
How to Avoid 5 Rejections - read the section about making sure you have a range of grade requirements and an obvious Insurance - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

Remember that for Nursing 'which Uni' is totally irrelevant as all Nursing courses are accredited and the NHS will not care where you trained - so avoid any fixation with RG or 'top' Unis. Also, Nursing degrees are not 'normal' courses where you have a few turorials and lectures a week and lots of free time - you will be working full shifts on wards from early days - so 'social life' may not be as you expect it. However, suggestions for a fun place to live include Brighton or Plymouth.
Original post by harrysbar
I will just note that Southampton and York won't be as lively as the others, and York is the most attractive city (in my opinion) but really you need to visit the ones that most interest you.

I've visited York a few times over recent years on different days and different times of year and it is always lively. With two unis and being a tourist town, there is a lot going on. Also, has great transport links being on the east coast mainline.
Reply 5
Original post by Lidan Wang
You are so good, you are able to apply for Oxford nursing, it is a good choice

thank you for the suggestion, but there isn't that course there (plus i reckon that i'd have no chance of getting in aha)
Reply 6
Original post by harrysbar
Surely you don't need to narrow it down so much at this stage since you apply to 5 unis through UCAS? See what offers you get back and I imagine there is an interview for children's nursing so you can see what sort of vibe you get from that or from attending Open Days.

that would be the case but none of the ones i've listed are my insurance unis. i have 3/4 insurance choices but can only select one of those (staffordshire, brighton or northumbria)
thank you for that information about SH & York, i think i might go to SH's open day this saturday as you may be right, it could help.
Reply 7
Original post by normaw
I've visited York a few times over recent years on different days and different times of year and it is always lively. With two unis and being a tourist town, there is a lot going on. Also, has great transport links being on the east coast mainline.

oh wow, i didn't know there was much to do there because i imagined it to be small and have more of a countryside vibe so thank you!
but two unis??
Reply 8
Original post by McGinger
How to Avoid 5 Rejections - read the section about making sure you have a range of grade requirements and an obvious Insurance - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

Remember that for Nursing 'which Uni' is totally irrelevant as all Nursing courses are accredited and the NHS will not care where you trained - so avoid any fixation with RG or 'top' Unis. Also, Nursing degrees are not 'normal' courses where you have a few turorials and lectures a week and lots of free time - you will be working full shifts on wards from early days - so 'social life' may not be as you expect it. However, suggestions for a fun place to live include Brighton or Plymouth.

honestly thank you so much, it's very insightful and that link is highly useful :smile:

you mentioned the 'social life' might not be what i expect it to be...does that mean my timetable will be very jam packed and i would not have many opportunities to join clubs and societies?
Original post by hhollyb
that would be the case but none of the ones i've listed are my insurance unis. i have 3/4 insurance choices but can only select one of those (staffordshire, brighton or northumbria)
thank you for that information about SH & York, i think i might go to SH's open day this saturday as you may be right, it could help.

Hi @hhollyb

It's great to hear we're one of your insurance choices. Just a quick one to let you know that we have an open day on 2 Oct if you wanted to know more about our course/campus - you can sign up here.

Please give me a shout if you have any Qs about our course.

Thanks and good luck!

Amy
Original post by hhollyb
but two unis??

University of York and York St John University
Reply 11
Original post by normaw
University of York and York St John University

ohh thank you, i wasn't aware of the second one,
Reply 12
1st question home or student accommodation. home is a lot cheaper. aim for a mid sized uni somewhere you want to do your placements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending