The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

How many societies should I join?

I’m starting at the University of Liverpool this month and looking on the Student Guild website there’s about 12 societies I want to join. 12 is obviously way too many. Can anyone at Liverpool tell me how many is a good number to join and how many I’ll realistically have time for?
I've been asking this around a lot and the answer seems to be 3-5. Tho i think you can do a bit more because some clubs meet every month or so.
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Original post by jayls
I’m starting at the University of Liverpool this month and looking on the Student Guild website there’s about 12 societies I want to join. 12 is obviously way too many. Can anyone at Liverpool tell me how many is a good number to join and how many I’ll realistically have time for?

It depends on the societies, really. Which ones are you interested in?

For me, I started off with my department society, a sport, and two 'hobby' societies, that didn't meet that regularly. In my second year, I kept up three of them, but had to drop the sport halfway through as I got a part-time job and didn't have the time to play in matches. In my third year, I was on a society committee, and occasionally attended events for another society. So, I'd say four or five are the most in first year, realistically.
This depends on a lot of things - especially your degree. If you're on English or History, you can probably do a lot more; if you're on Mechanical Engineering you probably can't.

Realistically, I think the most you can do is one sport (like rugby), one hobby and a couple of political / subject type socs. In first year, obv join a few more and see which ones you enjoy, but long term more than two main socs plus another that you only have to go to once in a while is about it.

Also, a lot of people chop and change every year, so don't feel wedded to anything in particular if it didn't turn out how you wanted.
Original post by jayls

Hi there!

There's no limit to how many societies you can join! I would advise you to get down to the freshers fair during Welcome Week and speak to a few of the societies that you are interested in joining - you can see what events they have planned, see how you can get involved. By doing so it means that you will have a better understanding of the most valuable and interesting societies for you to join!

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending