Should I sit the BMAT?

Watch
modulus123
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I sat the UCAT recently and achieved 2800 B2. This may not be the best score, but I thought that it was enough to apply to most unis. However, my teacher has recommended me to also take the BMAT to apply to Oxbridge/The London unis. I am a bit apprehensive about this and would like some guidance.
I’m not here to boast either and got 9 8/9s at gcse and am predicted 3 A*s. I’m wondering if these will better my application to any of the BMAT universities or if i shouldn’t do it. I would appreciate some insight, thank you.
Anonymous 482
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by modulus123)
I sat the UCAT recently and achieved 2800 B2. This may not be the best score, but I thought that it was enough to apply to most unis. However, my teacher has recommended me to also take the BMAT to apply to Oxbridge/The London unis. I am a bit apprehensive about this and would like some guidance.
I’m not here to boast either and got 9 8/9s at gcse and am predicted 3 A*s. I’m wondering if these will better my application to any of the BMAT universities or if i shouldn’t do it. I would appreciate some insight, thank you.
2800 is a really good score what unis do you have in mind? If there is a BMAT uni you want to go into then you should obviously do it
SyedN
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Well you could apply to Leeds with a BMAT as your GCSEs will give you a good boost!
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
That's a solid score so you don't have to take the BMAT unless you want to go to Oxbridge, Leeds, Imperial, UCL, Lancaster or BSMS. Also check out the "which medical school should I apply to?" megathread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6679038
SkiWoTB
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
It's a good score, and your other stats are great so you should be able to secure interviews with UCAT universities, provided you have a good personal statement. BMAT is an option and as mentioned above only applies to a couple of unis. One thing to note is that (at least for this year) you do your BMAT after you submit your UCAS application, so you won't know how your BMAT results will be. To be honest, do the BMAT if there are BMAT universities you want to apply to, otherwise you can just put 4 UCAT universities in your choices.
spectrum84
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Only take it if ur sure u want to. It can be tough to revise for ur exams and BMAT, I think ur UCAT is pretty high so I personally wouldn't do BMAT unless u want to go to a BMAT uni
modulus123
Rep:
First of all, thank you.
I was thinking of applying to Barts,Kings, Bristol and Exeter after my UCAT. I am not especially keen on going to any of the BMAT unis especially but I guess I’m being “teacher pressured” in a way.
(Original post by Anonymous 482)
2800 is a really good score what unis do you have in mind? If there is a BMAT uni you want to go into then you should obviously do it
modulus123
Rep:
(Original post by spectrum84)
Only take it if ur sure u want to. It can be tough to revise for ur exams and BMAT, I think ur UCAT is pretty high so I personally wouldn't do BMAT unless u want to go to a BMAT uni
Thank you I don’t think I’ll sit the BMAT. It seems like added stress when I could potentially not do as well and get rejected when I could’ve gotten an interview from a UCAT uni
AnnaBananana
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Why not work through a past paper and see how you find it before making a decision? Your ucat score is a good one, but the BMAT is a very different format that suits some people better. The past papers are online.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (3)
5.36%
October 2021 (32)
57.14%
November 2021 (7)
12.5%
December 2021 (5)
8.93%
January 2021 (5)
8.93%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (2)
3.57%