psychology or politics a level

Watch this thread
rose05
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
so i’ve started my a levels and ive picked sociology politics and business. but i’ve done a lesson of politics and i’ve just found it really boring and the teacher isn’t teaching that well. I originally picked psychology but then changed it to business but i’m thinking of either just sticking with politics or changing to psychology. Is it really content heavy with a lot of maths and science in? Also what’s more enjoyable politics or psychology??
Zorrik
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
Psychology explores the evolutionary working of the mind. In my opinion, Psychology deals with normality and a tad drift from the normal becomes the abnormal called Psychiatry.

If you are looking for advice, I would recommend Psychology over Politics even in my sleep. It would also complement your concepts in Sociology and would prepare you to be the Business Tycoon you are destined to be.

Hope it helps!
SB1234567890
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
I’ve just finished year 13 and did psychology, sociology and business. I found psychology really interesting and enjoyable, and it compliments these really well due to all having elements of research and both psychology and business covering Maslows hierarchy of needs. Psychology is slightly scientific (mainly in biopsychology, AQA) and has a bit of basic maths. The essays are relatively straightforward forward as they follow one of only two set structures. Although content heavy, content is relatively simple to understand and flexibility of knowledge enables you to reduce the overall amount of content that you have to learn
Hope this helps and I’m happy to answer any specific questions you have
Also, feel free to message me about any of these A levels at any time
rose05
Rep:
thank you sm, this is really helpful!!
rose05
Rep:
thank you so much!! The thing that was putting me of psychology was how content heavy it was and the elements of maths in it however if it’s quite interesting I think it would be better to do it over politics. What is the maths and science you have to do? Also as you did the same what one would you say was the hardest and had the hardest questions ?
SB1234567890
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by rose05)
thank you so much!! The thing that was putting me of psychology was how content heavy it was and the elements of maths in it however if it’s quite interesting I think it would be better to do it over politics. What is the maths and science you have to do? Also as you did the same what one would you say was the hardest and had the hardest questions ?
The maths is very basic (percentages, simplifying ratios, averages..) but, although not directly maths, stats tests take a bit more time to get your head around though once understood they provide easy marks. For the science, it is mainly covered in biopsychology, which starts will some GCSE biology (parts of a nerve cell, nervous vs endocrine system, fight or flight response..) then gets to slightly more complictaed content (localisation of function, hemispheric lateralisation, sleep wake cycle..) though this may have partly been harder because it was a lockdown topic for us rather than the content itself.
It's difficult to say which was hardest as they all have slightly different questioning style. Psychology is hard in the sense that it has a lot of content to remember (around 150 word outline and 6x50 word evaluations for every 1 or 2 lessons) though once remembered the questions become the easiest. For business, in general the questions are quite easy as you can apply the same analysis chains to lots of different questions if you change them to fit the scenario. Sociology I'd say is the subject that most essay writing skills as essays have less of a set structure and you have more choice over how you structure paragraphs so most people start of finding the questions harder but then your marks will gradually get higher and questions will seem easier
My lowest grade was in business though I would say that was more to do with our teachers rather than it being any more difficult
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (154)
41.85%
Not yet, but I will soon (68)
18.48%
No (146)
39.67%

Watched Threads