The Student Room Group

I can’t stop eating

Hi, I had been losing weight for a year but for two weeks I cannot stop eating. I worry I am bingeing. I am frustrated and want to cry. I’m starting university soon and feel all my hard work has gone to waste. Does anybody have any advice? Thanks in advance.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I had been losing weight for a year but for two weeks I cannot stop eating. I worry I am bingeing. I am frustrated and want to cry. I’m starting university soon and feel all my hard work has gone to waste. Does anybody have any advice? Thanks in advance.

Maybe try planning what you are going to eat the next day and do some meal prep but if your hungry just eat your body will tell you what it needs :smile:
Reply 2
i feel the same, although i am not going to uni. do not worry, its normal to eat. if you feel like you are binging i would set aside a meal plan and pre-prepare your meal so that you are more likely to stick to it.

I have also been binging after restricting for about 3 weeks. :/

feels like shite

i believe in you tho, so don't stress n try to enjoy life. we will get thru this together
Reply 3
Maybe try planning what you are going to eat the next day and do some meal prep but if your hungry just eat your body will tell you what it needs :smile:

Hi, thank you for replying! I try to do that but I still cannot control myself. Currently, I have somehow resisted eating more ice cream and pancakes.
Reply 4
Original post by ellzino
i feel the same, although i am not going to uni. do not worry, its normal to eat. if you feel like you are binging i would set aside a meal plan and pre-prepare your meal so that you are more likely to stick to it.

I have also been binging after restricting for about 3 weeks. :/

feels like shite

i believe in you tho, so don't stress n try to enjoy life. we will get thru this together

Hi, thank you for replying - I am sorry you have to go through that. I believe in you too - stay safe!
How many calories are you eating
Reply 6
To start with stop restricting, try to find better quality foods to eat. If you can find things that are high in protein and fibre as they will keep you feeling fuller for longer, if you wish to have a snack plan them into your day2day diet, perhaps eat your meals and snacks at set times.
Reply 7
Original post by JaseyB
To start with stop restricting, try to find better quality foods to eat. If you can find things that are high in protein and fibre as they will keep you feeling fuller for longer, if you wish to have a snack plan them into your day2day diet, perhaps eat your meals and snacks at set times.

Thank you for replying - I tried to do that but it isn’t working.
Reply 8
Original post by Moonlight Rain
How many calories are you eating

Around 4K
Reply 9
Try to eat more lean proteins overall during the day. Aim for 2g of protein per kg of bodyweight at least. Eat low-calorie, volumous vegetables to fill up and add some complex carbs and little fat.

Sometimes your body also needs a diet break, so it's fine if you're eating at your maintenance calories for a couple of weeks, it might make the process of losing weight in the subsequent weeks easier.
Around 4K

I'm the same. I eat a lot of carbs to bring some excitement into my life which I have none. Maybe you're stressed and going through a tough time and food seems to be helping you get through it
Original post by Moonlight Rain
I'm the same. I eat a lot of carbs to bring some excitement into my life which I have none. Maybe you're stressed and going through a tough time and food seems to be helping you get through it

Hi, unfortunately I don’t have any sources to stress (I mean that isn’t unfortunate 😂)). Thanks for replying!
Original post by t.s.r.
Try to eat more lean proteins overall during the day. Aim for 2g of protein per kg of bodyweight at least. Eat low-calorie, volumous vegetables to fill up and add some complex carbs and little fat.

Sometimes your body also needs a diet break, so it's fine if you're eating at your maintenance calories for a couple of weeks, it might make the process of losing weight in the subsequent weeks easier.

Hi, thank you - I am incorporating more routine into my diet. I am mainly craving foods such as pastries and chocolate 😂.
Hi I've spent the last year bouncing between ED diagnoses and this I can relate to. After months of restriction, I started eating again and then I started eating as much as I could see in one sitting, it was like seeing red, even if I wanted to I just couldn't stop.
This is still something I find hard since I'm sort of swinging between restricting and binging at the moment but these helped

Try to take the 'freakout factor' away from binging, or eating too much, if you beat yourself up or let it stress you, you're much more likely to do it again. You ate too much today, but it'll be okay.

Don't restrict, even if you do 'successfully' for a few days, it's like pulling a rubber band, you'll snap eventually.

Try and learn to recognise emotional hunger, that's the one that craves specific things with intense urgency, then you've sorta just got to learn to ride the wave (easier said than done)

If you're binging (better call it what it is) then try to not keep the foods you tend to binge on at home, if effort is involved you're less likely to do it.

Also, you are much more than what your body looks like, if you put on a little weight, that's okay and there's no rush to lose it before uni starts (I'm telling myself this too...), being okay with how you are at the moment will make you less likely to restrict (and then binge). Slight calorie deficit over a period of time is the sustainable way to go

I hope some of that helps :hugs:
(edited 2 years ago)

hey, first of all weight loss is very hard, so congratulate yourself on losing some for a year before anything else!
Weight is a very hard thing when you start to worry about it, because you are always scared people are judging when in reality most of them will be too worried about their own weight and be fantasizing over others.

It is good that if you were losing weight, you have now noticed your patterns are spiraling out of control slightly. Since it has only been two weeks, you can quickly get back on track, do not stress about that!
But before you do, what makes you think you are binging? Before you worry you need to try and think about how you were eating as you were losing weight compared to eating now. What is your -personal- definition of binging.
When losing weight before, were you still allowing yourself to eat some of your fav unhealthy food (just in moderation), were you restricting yourself on certain foods. If this can apply, then readjust your eating plan for when you were losing weight, as if you restrict yourself, when you cave into cravings, you will fall back into eating too much.
Aside from that factor, has there been anything that could have also contributed to you eating- stress about uni, family problems, etc.... When you think about uni, do you eat more.

Do not cry! Weight journey is hard, you can keep failing, but each time you fall then decide to be healthier again/ lose weight, you will come back with a more cohesive plan, aiming to eliminate what made you stop beforehand.

So my advice is: think about what may have made you start binging again. What is binging to you? When you start eating to lose weight again, what do you think you can do, that you didn't last time and made you relapse into old habits. And most importantly, be happy with yourself no matter what your weight is. Enjoy food in general, don't restrict yourself completely And if you do start binging again, know that it is ok and you will get back on track eventually.
Especially since at uni you can control what food you will eat as you will be buying for yourself, this will make it easier to control how you eat as you can watch over your shopping. You will not gain everything back at once, and even if you do, just think of how before you were able to lose weight, therefore you can do it again.
Focus on your target weight or appearance and maintaining a positive mindset. :smile:
Then find the willpower to setup a daily calorie count where you will be calorie deficit by at least 600 calories, stick to it for at least 2 months and only eat meals that you have homecooked from scratch.
Fill up your spare time with learning new skills, daily exercise workouts, your favourite hobbies and improving your financial position so that you don't get bored or fall into a pattern of comfort eating to improve your mood.
Good luck!
Original post by Quantumkoala64
Hi I've spent the last year bouncing between ED diagnoses and this I can relate to. After months of restriction, I started eating again and then I started eating as much as I could see in one sitting, it was like seeing red, even if I wanted to I just couldn't stop.
This is still something I find hard since I'm sort of swinging between restricting and binging at the moment but these helped

Try to take the 'freakout factor' away from binging, or eating too much, if you beat yourself up or let it stress you, you're much more likely to do it again. You ate too much today, but it'll be okay.

Don't restrict, even if you do 'successfully' for a few days, it's like pulling a rubber band, you'll snap eventually.

Try and learn to recognise emotional hunger, that's the one that craves specific things with intense urgency, then you've sorta just got to learn to ride the wave (easier said than done)

If you're binging (better call it what it is) then try to not keep the foods you tend to binge on at home, if effort is involved you're less likely to do it.

Also, you are much more than what your body looks like, if you put on a little weight, that's okay and there's no rush to lose it before uni starts (I'm telling myself this too...), being okay with how you are at the moment will make you less likely to restrict (and then binge). Slight calorie deficit over a period of time is the sustainable way to go

I hope some of that helps :hugs:

Hi, thank you! Your bullet points make a lot of sense and I will try to stick to them. Stay safe!
Original post by kissland
hey, first of all weight loss is very hard, so congratulate yourself on losing some for a year before anything else!
Weight is a very hard thing when you start to worry about it, because you are always scared people are judging when in reality most of them will be too worried about their own weight and be fantasizing over others.

It is good that if you were losing weight, you have now noticed your patterns are spiraling out of control slightly. Since it has only been two weeks, you can quickly get back on track, do not stress about that!
But before you do, what makes you think you are binging? Before you worry you need to try and think about how you were eating as you were losing weight compared to eating now. What is your -personal- definition of binging.
When losing weight before, were you still allowing yourself to eat some of your fav unhealthy food (just in moderation), were you restricting yourself on certain foods. If this can apply, then readjust your eating plan for when you were losing weight, as if you restrict yourself, when you cave into cravings, you will fall back into eating too much.
Aside from that factor, has there been anything that could have also contributed to you eating- stress about uni, family problems, etc.... When you think about uni, do you eat more.

Do not cry! Weight journey is hard, you can keep failing, but each time you fall then decide to be healthier again/ lose weight, you will come back with a more cohesive plan, aiming to eliminate what made you stop beforehand.

So my advice is: think about what may have made you start binging again. What is binging to you? When you start eating to lose weight again, what do you think you can do, that you didn't last time and made you relapse into old habits. And most importantly, be happy with yourself no matter what your weight is. Enjoy food in general, don't restrict yourself completely And if you do start binging again, know that it is ok and you will get back on track eventually.
Especially since at uni you can control what food you will eat as you will be buying for yourself, this will make it easier to control how you eat as you can watch over your shopping. You will not gain everything back at once, and even if you do, just think of how before you were able to lose weight, therefore you can do it again.

Hi, thank you - I will use your questions to reflect! It’s just that J feel so out of control.
Original post by londonmyst
Focus on your target weight or appearance and maintaining a positive mindset. :smile:
Then find the willpower to setup a daily calorie count where you will be calorie deficit by at least 600 calories, stick to it for at least 2 months and only eat meals that you have homecooked from scratch.
Fill up your spare time with learning new skills, daily exercise workouts, your favourite hobbies and improving your financial position so that you don't get bored or fall into a pattern of comfort eating to improve your mood.
Good luck!

Hi, that’s how I lost weight (by calculating TDEE and subtracting 500 calories). I’m finding it hard to resist cravings. Thank you for you response!

Quick Reply

Latest