Will Oxford applicants with autumn 2021 and/or summer 2022 results be disadvantaged?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hello, seeking advice from someone in the know here.

I would like to enquire as to the stance taken by Oxford (particularly, the Department of Engineering Science) towards applicants who are awarded centre-assessed grades in 2021 yet elect to sit public examinations the following summer.

I am cognisant that "if A-level (or equivalent) students are unhappy with their results, and they choose to retake these exams, Oxford will not consider these sittings as retakes and so this will not disadvantage an application [from FAQs]".

However, the wider implications of this statement are unclear. Is this attitude directed at both the autumn 2021 series of examinations, and the summer 2022 series, or not? In other words, does this apply to all subsequent assessment? Is one favoured over others?
For candidates who sit both of the aforestated assessments, is there a disadvantage compared to solely sitting next summer's examinations? In that case, which set of grades will influence decision-making, and which are to be declared on the UCAS application?

I would also like to be informed as to whether a justification for sitting further assessments will be required within the application (as in previous years).
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello, seeking advice from someone in the know here.

I would like to enquire as to the stance taken by Oxford (particularly, the Department of Engineering Science) towards applicants who are awarded centre-assessed grades in 2021 yet elect to sit public examinations the following summer.

I am cognisant that "if A-level (or equivalent) students are unhappy with their results, and they choose to retake these exams, Oxford will not consider these sittings as retakes and so this will not disadvantage an application [from FAQs]".

However, the wider implications of this statement are unclear. Is this attitude directed at both the autumn 2021 series of examinations, and the summer 2022 series, or not? In other words, does this apply to all subsequent assessment? Is one favoured over others?
For candidates who sit both of the aforestated assessments, is there a disadvantage compared to solely sitting next summer's examinations? In that case, which set of grades will influence decision-making, and which are to be declared on the UCAS application?

I would also like to be informed as to whether a justification for sitting further assessments will be required within the application (as in previous years).
I've sent a couple of emails and was told once that 'the FAQ refers to 'public examinations the following summer' and so tutors will consider the results of examinations taken in the Summer 2022 but not in the Autumn 2021.' To my mind, this doesn't appear to make much sense at all, so perhaps it should be taken with a grain of salt. Could anyone confirm/deny/elaborate on this?
Anonymous #1
Here is the FAQ response: https://www.ox.ac.uk/coronavirus/app...undergraduates.
Would be very helpful to have an official representative on this. LMH OXFORD BrasenoseAdm?
Anonymous #1
This is all rather urgent as I sent my entry for the autumn examinations off yesterday, but throughout today I have been intensely questioning whether it would not be better (i.e. less stressful) to sit the summer 2022 examinations. However, there are always additional risk factors involved in waiting (such as further cancellations) which also make me uneasy. I don't want any additional gap years.
Anonymous #1
Bump.
Anonymous #1
Bump
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
I suspect you'd be better emailing a specific Oxford College (whichever one you prefer) as LMH and Brasenose aren't especially active on here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (10)
10.75%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
1.08%
Finding the time to revise (7)
7.53%
Finding the motivation (23)
24.73%
Getting distracted (14)
15.05%
Procrastination (37)
39.78%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.08%

Watched Threads