The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

John Snow Accommodation 2021 - Durham University

Hi
Has anyone had a response from this college with regard whether they are on the campus (en-suite) or in a town house (shared bathroom)?

thanks
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Not sure but I think the townhouses are on the same site, just a different shape of building to the buildings with the single, en-suite rooms. They are not ‘in town’ or away from the main college site.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Hugh's Swan
Not sure but I think the townhouses are on the same site, just a different shape of building to the buildings with the single, en-suite rooms. They are not ‘in town’ or away from the main college site.

So are they on the mount oswald site?

Original post by BelindaAC
So are they on the mount oswald site?

Can't guarantee they're not doing something different this year where they have some elsewhere also, but they certainly do have townhouses on the mount oswald site :smile:
Yes I think so. Some colleges have had to split up students onto two different sites due to the high volume of numbers, but I haven’t heard that that is what South is doing (unless that is what you have been told specifically) The ‘town houses’ on the South College Mount Oswald site are just a different style of accommodation on the same site.
Yes I think so. Some colleges have had to split up students onto two different sites due to the high volume of numbers, but I haven’t heard that that is what South is doing (unless that is what you have been told specifically) The ‘town houses’ on the South College Mount Oswald site are just a different style of accommodation on the same site.

*sorry I meant John Snow not South ! I think both colleges have similar concepts of flats and also town houses
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
*sorry I meant John Snow not South ! I think both colleges have similar concepts of flats and also town houses

Ah ok thanks... we still haven’t heard from John Snow, yet someone we know has!!!
Reply 7
Has anyone still not heard from John snow? I believe a lot of allocations went out this evening but my daughter is still waiting to hear!
My son received confirmation of an en-suite room at John Snow this evening, I understand a number of students received an email at the same time this afternoon reallocating them to Town Houses. I hope you don’t have to wait much longer, it’s been a a stressful month since A Level results were out 🤞
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
My son received confirmation of an en-suite room at John Snow this evening, I understand a number of students received an email at the same time this afternoon reallocating them to Town Houses. I hope you don’t have to wait much longer, it’s been a a stressful month since A Level results were out 🤞

My son has received it now as well, yes very stressful :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Are the John Snow townhouses with shared bathrooms ok for undergrad students please or are they more for postgrad students. My son has been allocated one of these and after reading on the JS website he/we are a bit apprehensive. Also are the rooms the same standard as the JS ensuites he viewed on the Open Day or any other differences other than a shared bathroom?
Are the John Snow townhouses with shared bathrooms ok for undergrad students please or are they more for postgrad students. My son has been allocated one of these and after reading on the JS website he/we are a bit apprehensive. Also are the rooms the same standard as the JS ensuites he viewed on the Open Day or any other differences other than a shared bathroom?

It will be completely fine, undergrads are in those every year and they're as new as the other accommodation :yep:
Thank you was getting a bit worried reading the description on the JS website and thinking the atmosphere and dynamics in the townhouse would be a lot different if older post grad students and academics were in the mix with young under grads.
Hello, does anyone who stayed in JS last year or any parents know the size of the boxes required to fit in the wardrobe shelves/spaces please? Just so we can get some collapsible boxes in advance of our son going next weekend?

Also approximately how much storage space for crockery pots and pans do they have (roughly what would fit in/or how much would fit in)?

Our son has been allocated his own room with a shared toilet which we believe is between him and one other student can anyone comment on these style if rooms and how many students in each flat etc. Are these shared toilets cleaned by cleaners or do the students share cleaning?

Thanks

PS any other info or top tips would be appreciated for JS/Hill College students/Uni student life in Durham.
Hello, does anyone who stayed in JS last year or any parents know the size of the boxes required to fit in the wardrobe shelves/spaces please? Just so we can get some collapsible boxes in advance of our son going next weekend?

Also approximately how much storage space for crockery pots and pans do they have (roughly what would fit in/or how much would fit in)?

Our son has been allocated his own room with a shared toilet which we believe is between him and one other student can anyone comment on these style if rooms and how many students in each flat etc. Are these shared toilets cleaned by cleaners or do the students share cleaning?

Thanks

PS any other info or top tips would be appreciated for JS/Hill College students/Uni student life in Durham.

Hi, the townhouses are fab! My son was in similar at another uni but we visited JS ones last summer and I will look to share photos. Room is very similar in the flat and the townhouse configuration. Townhouse is 12 kids and all undergraduates ground floor is open plan lounge, eating and cooking area. Each floor has 4 beds and 2 bathrooms - size of a en-suite. Son who is quite shy was fine with this and his were cleaned weekly. His best mate was the guy who shared bathroom with him.

if I can find photos if the rooms etc I will.

my DD will be in a flat in JS
Thank you would really appreciate it
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Thank you would really appreciate it

Thanks

Thank you was getting a bit worried reading the description on the JS website and thinking the atmosphere and dynamics in the townhouse would be a lot different if older post grad students and academics were in the mix with young under grads.

The students are all undergraduates in each townhouse then post graduates in other townhouses.
Anyone know the cost of JS launderette? Also is it cash?
Original post by Mumofstudent71
Anyone know the cost of JS launderette? Also is it cash?

Most the uni ones are £3.50 for a wash and free for the dryers. The machines are massive so worth taking plenty of clothes so that washing can be done less often :smile:
No cash, you get a card which you can top up online :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest