The Student Room Group

Write a description of a prison institution (8)

Help!! I only know basic vocabulary but want to learn furthermore.
I'm not really sure how to write this down as it's an 8 marker, usually, back in GCSE, it's 1-2 marks. But please I really want to aim high for A-Level Law as I want to become a barrister in the future.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by r16z

Help!! I only know basic vocabulary but want to learn furthermore.
I'm not really sure how to write this down as it's an 8 marker, usually, back in GCSE, it's 1-2 marks. But please I really want to aim high for A-Level Law as I want to become a barrister in the future.

Hi r16z

I'm not sure of the mark scheme you are working to so it might be worth asking the course provider to give you an example and/or word count but the way I would tackle this is:

1) Explain the term 'Prison Institution'.
2) Explain the purpose of them.
3) Describe where they are found generally.
4) Describe how some might differ (Youth, for example) and explain whether the purpose differs.
5) Demonstrate an understanding of reasons why people support them.
6) Demonstrate an understanding of reasons why people are opposed to them.
7) Give your opinion as to whether you think they meet their purpose.
8) Conclude.

Hope that helps!

Nic
A student with a law degree, masters in law, and now currently studying the Bar Practice Course to become a barrister.
Also Student Ambassador for the University of Law
Reply 2
Original post by The University of Law Students
Hi r16z

I'm not sure of the mark scheme you are working to so it might be worth asking the course provider to give you an example and/or word count but the way I would tackle this is:

1) Explain the term 'Prison Institution'.
2) Explain the purpose of them.
3) Describe where they are found generally.
4) Describe how some might differ (Youth, for example) and explain whether the purpose differs.
5) Demonstrate an understanding of reasons why people support them.
6) Demonstrate an understanding of reasons why people are opposed to them.
7) Give your opinion as to whether you think they meet their purpose.
8) Conclude.

Hope that helps!

Nic
A student with a law degree, masters in law, and now currently studying the Bar Practice Course to become a barrister.
Also Student Ambassador for the University of Law

Thank you soo much!! This gave me more courage and helped me a lot
I'm doing A-level Law OCR since my dream is to become a barrister, they need to have confidence and I'm afraid I lack that a lot, I get anxious around people, my voice goes all high and I shake. I really want to overcome that. But thank you so much for helping me.
Original post by r16z
Thank you soo much!! This gave me more courage and helped me a lot
I'm doing A-level Law OCR since my dream is to become a barrister, they need to have confidence and I'm afraid I lack that a lot, I get anxious around people, my voice goes all high and I shake. I really want to overcome that. But thank you so much for helping me.

Hi r16z

It's no problem at all. You should get nervous when doing law because that means you care about how you do! You will learn to control the nerves you currently show but having that little bit of worry can be a real positive- you worry about your case and so you check for every eventuality. At A'level, you'll be learning about the black letter law but later courses will also teach you about how to present it and argue it. Don't let nerves you put off!

All the best with your studies!

Nic
Student Ambassador at the University of Law
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by The University of Law Students
Hi r16z

It's no problem at all. You should get nervous when doing law because that means you care about how you do! You will learn to control the nerves you currently show but having that little bit of worry can be a real positive- you worry about your case and so you check for every eventuality. At A'level, you'll be learning about the black letter law but later courses will also teach you about how to present it and argue it. Don't let nerves you put off!

All the best with your studies!

Nic
Student Ambassador at the University of Law

Yes..that's true! Wow, this made me feel like a new person. Whenever I don't feel confident or unmotivated I'll remember this.
Thank you so much!
Regarding the nerves you could consider joining a local Toastmasters group when you’re the right age?
Reply 6
Original post by xxx0xxxo
Regarding the nerves you could consider joining a local Toastmasters group when you’re the right age?

Hi, can you explain what a local toastmaster group is?
Original post by r16z
Hi, can you explain what a local toastmaster group is?

It’s a self organised and supportive volunteer group where they practice public speaking, it includes students and adults of any age. Very good experience and builds confidence
Reply 8

Oh, toastmaster for public speaking.

It’s a self organised and supportive volunteer group where they practice public speaking, it includes students and adults of any age. Very good experience and builds confidence

Oh, I see I'll think about it, but I have so much fear in me, which I need to take out.
Thanks for recommending me though.

Quick Reply

Latest