megwebb8
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m currently in a full time job (non-related to vet med) 26 years old and didn’t complete any A-Levels. I’m really interested in starting the course but obviously aware I’d need to complete an access course first. I have seen a few things online about age limits for certain qualifications so I was just curious if anyone else joined the course at a similar age to me? And also what access course is best as google isn’t really giving me a straight answer! I know it varies depending on which uni, I’m more swaying to Liverpool as I already live there though. Any answers would be a big help! :-)
simbabear
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by megwebb8)
I’m currently in a full time job (non-related to vet med) 26 years old and didn’t complete any A-Levels. I’m really interested in starting the course but obviously aware I’d need to complete an access course first. I have seen a few things online about age limits for certain qualifications so I was just curious if anyone else joined the course at a similar age to me? And also what access course is best as google isn’t really giving me a straight answer! I know it varies depending on which uni, I’m more swaying to Liverpool as I already live there though. Any answers would be a big help! :-)
Hey! !'m 27 and starting vet med at Bristol later this month.

I did A Levels when I was 18, but I didn't meet the requirements and ended up studying Maths at uni instead. I then worked for 5 years before doing an access course in Life Sciences for Subjects Allied to Medicine (Certificate in Higher Education) at Birkbeck University (https://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/2021/und...mes/UCHLIFSC_C).

I would recommend emailing all the universities and asking them which route they would recommend for your specific circumstances. I did this and found Birkbeck was best for me, but I believe there are plenty of other options.

Regarding age, there are plenty of mature vet students starting at Bristol with me, and with vet med being such a popular course I'm aware of this being similar across all the universities. There were also a few other older students studying with me at Birkbeck who are also going on to study vet med. You definitely won't be alone!

I hope this is helpful, but if you have any other questions let me know
TheWannabeFarmer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/un...-requirements/

This course may be of interest to you - is Liverpool based in collaboration with Carmel College. Its effectively a foundation year aimed at people who haven't done A levels and are older. I
megwebb8
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by simbabear)
Hey! !'m 27 and starting vet med at Bristol later this month.

I did A Levels when I was 18, but I didn't meet the requirements and ended up studying Maths at uni instead. I then worked for 5 years before doing an access course in Life Sciences for Subjects Allied to Medicine (Certificate in Higher Education) at Birkbeck University (https://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/2021/und...mes/UCHLIFSC_C).

I would recommend emailing all the universities and asking them which route they would recommend for your specific circumstances. I did this and found Birkbeck was best for me, but I believe there are plenty of other options.

Regarding age, there are plenty of mature vet students starting at Bristol with me, and with vet med being such a popular course I'm aware of this being similar across all the universities. There were also a few other older students studying with me at Birkbeck who are also going on to study vet med. You definitely won't be alone!

I hope this is helpful, but if you have any other questions let me know
Thank you so much! This gives me hope I was starting to think I’d left it too late haha, appreciate your help though and good luck with the course! X
flamingolover
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by megwebb8)
I’m at uni at nottingham (first year April). There is a woman on our course who is 31 so I don’t believe there is an age limit. I’m not really sure about access course though. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (215)
56.28%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (50)
13.09%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (44)
11.52%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (33)
8.64%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
6.02%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (17)
4.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise