The Student Room Group

Orthoptics Personal Statement

any tips on writing an orthoptics PS? Thanks :smile:
Original post by elisha.r
any tips on writing an orthoptics PS? Thanks :smile:

Hi Elisha,

My best advice for writing an Orthoptics personal statement would firstly be to make sure you fully understand the role of an Orthoptist, its quite commonly a misunderstood profession and can be easily confused with other eye care professionals such as Optometrists and Ophthalmologists so I recommend you have a good research into the different roles and this also helps you find aspects of the role you find interesting too.

The main thing admissions tutors are looking for is individuals that show they are passionate about Orthoptics/health care and demonstrate that they would be suitable for such a role, so including different transferable skills in your PS is something I would recommend. Any work experience will have transferable skills you can apply to Orthoptics eg) retail= communication skills with people of all ages, nursery= working with young children. If you can get work experience in a hospital shadowing an Orthoptist that would be great but it is definitely not essential, that would mainly benefit yourself more to get a feel for the job.

I also recommend looking at the modules for the course on University websites and finding an area you are interested in and you could read around this, you can put this in your PS and is also a really good discussion point for interviews!

Hope this helps you out a bit, the tutors are just looking for individuals with a genuine interest in Orthoptics they aren't trying to catch anyone out and there isn't a set criteria on what to include !

Let me know if you have anymore questions :smile:

Alisha
3rd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending