Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it something good and 'manly' to do? Or is it rather a weak and futile thing to do?

Inspired by Hamlet/Count of Monte Cristo.

Im not too sure myself, i think the whole concept of revenge is honourable but dont think humans are capable of delivering 'correct 'justice (Count of Monte Cristo).

ReputationRep:
    Be courteous, polite and obey the law. If someone lays his hand on you, send him to the cemetery...

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the circumastances. On the whole revenge is a dish best served cold.

ReputationRep:
    I could write an essay on the ethics of it. Or I could just say:

Revenge is sweet.

Maybe I'll go sleep now.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think revenge is good - let the matter rest, don't escalate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LondonBoy)
    Is it something good and 'manly' to do? Or is it rather a weak and futile thing to do?

Im not too sure myself, i think the whole concept of revenge is honourable but dont think humans are capable of delivering 'correct 'justice (Count of Monte Cristo).
    Well, I'm not a man, so I don't factor the 'manly' bit into my case. I don't do revenge...although that's because I try and be nice, because I don't want to make enemies. That said...if someone did something evil to me, I'd just ignore them. So no, I don't like the idea of revenge.

ReputationRep:
    It depends. Taking revenge for something petty is stupid... but if it's something properly serious, then I personally would take revenge. Also - I'm more likely to take revenge for someone else (a friend or family member) than for myself.

ReputationRep:
    Where does justice end and revenge begin?

ReputationRep:
    Two wrongs don't make a right. Let's see how many old school saying we can fit in here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakebobby)
    Where does justice end and revenge begin?
    It doesn't - justice is revenge.

ReputationRep:
    Revenge can be sweet, but still...very childish.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, I suppose if someone trips me up deliberately in a football game, I'll make sure I take them out later on. Hypothetically, if someone murdered my parents... I'd go and kill the murder and all his/her family without any qualms, although that could be put down to the anger.

Basically if someone wrongs you for no real reason, get them back 10 times harder... and then noone else will **** with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmericanChick)
    but still...very childish.
    I don't think revenge is always childish. Let's say some guy rapes one of your best friends and gets away with it (as far as the law goes), or your mum's boyfriend beats her up or something like that. Is it still childish to take revenge? That said, what makes it "revenge" gets blurred - half of my thinking is that you HAVE to make them pay. If they get away with it then they're much more likely to do it again, or do it to someone else. If you make sure they get hurt - and make sure they know why - then they'll know that they can't get away with it.

Just a thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toy Soldier)
    It doesn't - justice is revenge.
    So, if someone murdered my wife, I would be justified to brutally dismember his entire family in an act of revenge? Anyone else could say it was revenge, but I would probably be the only person who felt I was justified.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakebobby)
    So, if someone murdered my wife, I would be justified to brutally dismember his entire family in an act of revenge? Anyone else could say it was revenge, but I would probably be the only person who felt I was justified.
    His family? I would call that neither revenge or justice, but insanity.

What I was getting at is that I can't think of an example of justice that isn't also a form of revenge, rather than vice-versa. I should have worded it more clearly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toy Soldier)
    I don't think revenge is always childish. Let's say some guy rapes one of your best friends and gets away with it (as far as the law goes), or your mum's boyfriend beats her up or something like that. Is it still childish to take revenge? That said, what makes it "revenge" gets blurred - half of my thinking is that you HAVE to make them pay. If they get away with it then they're much more likely to do it again, or do it to someone else. If you make sure they get hurt - and make sure they know why - then they'll know that they can't get away with it.

Just a thought.
    True, didn't think of that. I would probably dismember his body limb by limb and then feed him to my neighbors pitbull terrier. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LondonBoy)

Revenge is fantastic. Correct Justice is the paying out of the hurt recieved by the victim. The revenge is only measured by the victim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    Correct Justice is the paying out of the hurt recieved by the victim.
    But who decides who's a victim and who isn't? The guilty party might also be a victim.

ReputationRep:
    i'm EXTREAMLY revengful...i think thats all i need to say

ReputationRep:
    Well thats just the way it works!

Take a note from Uma Thurman in Kill Bill when she is explaing getting square to Vernita Green.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.