Bella1525
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I don't know how to use any punctuation except the basic ones(e.g commas) to get higher marks I need to use a wide range of punctuation(especially for questions like (p1 q5)
which resource can I use to learn all of these punctuations?(dash,hyphen ,semicolon)
Elliet1908
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
try looking on youtube there’s some good videos on there explaining each type of punctuation and how to use them in sentences. Looking for videos targeted towards gcse students might be a good place to start

There might also be some pages about punctuation on websites like bbc bitesize!
franklyfruity
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Using brackets, commas or dashes around a parenthesis is always great. A parenthesis is an extra little bit of information added to a sentence as a sort of afterthought - you could do without it, but it's useful to know.

Semi-colons and colons are very valuable too, as well as inverted commas and an ellipsis. Use The Punctuation Guide or BBC Bitesize to get started! Just remember, don't force elaborate punctuation. Write what comes naturally and hopefully you'll find some good opportunities to include different punctuation. And don't forget about exclamation and question marks, they're often overlooked but definitely count in a marking scheme!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (320)
56.94%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (78)
13.88%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (63)
11.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (51)
9.07%
I haven't started researching yet (28)
4.98%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (22)
3.91%

Watched Threads