The Student Room Group

Geography at uni : BA or BSc?

I want to study Geography at university but more interested in human geography bit want to end up with a BSc as more useful for the sort of job I hope to do eventually. Has anyone got any advice or thoughts on this? thanks in advance
Reply 1
Several BSc courses do allow you to take human geography modules (sometimes as much as 50%), but in the end if you need a BSc then you will have to take certain physical geography or environmental science elements in order to fulfil the requirements.
Original post by lolross
I want to study Geography at university but more interested in human geography bit want to end up with a BSc as more useful for the sort of job I hope to do eventually. Has anyone got any advice or thoughts on this? thanks in advance

I applied for a BA geography, because personally, I prefer less of a scientific focus and more of an essay, human based approach to the subject, but it differs with everyone. I know from a Durham open day, that BSc students spent much more time in a lab, and Im not too sure how large the aspect of human geography is.
Original post by lolross

Hey Ross,

I do BSc Geography at Queen Mary and have found that you study a variety of physical and human modules in either BA or BSc and just having taken either type of degree doesn't make you better suited for a job, rather modules that you take and the skills you gain from them matter more.

For example, if you are interested in a job involving fieldwork skills then, regardless of degree type, you can most likely (if it is available at that specific uni) just take a module where you can build these skills up and practice so that you have evidence that you are developed in this skill.

I hope this helps!

- Liv, Student Ambassador and Official Rep
Original post by lolross

A bit late now.... but Cardiff university offer a human geography degree which is BSc!
Original post by lolross

Hi @lolross!

Most unis let you do a mix of the two! At University of Southampton, everyone does the same courses in first year, 50% BSc and 50% BA. At the end of the year, you can choose to either stay with BA/BSc (whichever you signed up for) or switch to the other module if you prefer it. But you also have the option to choose modules from the other degree at each point, so it's a very flexible programme.

I'd advise you to check your universities web pages and see how the courses are ran (they usually tell you what courses you will be doing each year, how many optional modules you have, and potentially what modules those are or what departments you can choose from.

As for the job, majority of employers are happy to see a degree and if you're applying in the Geography field, then a Geography degree will be even more suited. Depending on what you choose (like in the scientific field or maths field, for example), a BSc degree may look better on paper, so research your job prospects and what you'd like to do career-wise and see what the common requirements and backgrounds are.

But don't be disheartened, there are lots of jobs you can get with a BA! The course often has you learning in various fields (sociology, economics, demographics, etc.). So you can be considered for quite a lot. And like I said, many employers are happy just for a degree. So you can play up whatever skills you've acquired (for a research job for example, you'd have likely had to gathered research during your programme so you can discuss that).

But you will most likely have the option to still dabble in BA if BSc is what you want to focus on as most unis offer that.

Best of luck with choosing what you want to do! If you have any more questions, I'm happy to answer them.

Jade :smile:
Official University of Southampton Rep

Quick Reply

Latest