Car help...:funding a purchase Watch

This discussion is closed.
pissface
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hey all, im 15 and there's this awsome car I want. It's priced low, totally cute, classic, and has very low insurance. Unfortunately, can't afford it right now so im trying to sell my parents on the idea of getting it for me and letting me pay it off in a year or so. Any suggestions on how I could make this sound appealing to them. We really dont have any garage room for it.
Kew
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Surely you're too young to drive...
Sparkling_Jules
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You can drive when you're 16 in America can't you? Not fair, but then I had to be forced to learn...

Just go on about how much freedom and independence your own car would give you. Not to mention responsibility.
Natalie Lane
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kew96158)
Surely you're too young to drive...
she can probabaly drive by the age of 16 (assuming americanchick actually lives in USA...)
Dyakson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by AmericanChick)
Hey all, im 15 and there's this awsome car I want. It's priced low, totally cute, classic, and has very low insurance. Unfortunately, can't afford it right now so im trying to sell my parents on the idea of getting it for me and letting me pay it off in a year or so. Any suggestions on how I could make this sound appealing to them. We really dont have any garage room for it.
Maybe if you got a job, and showed that you could keep it, they would believe that you really could pay them back?
pissface
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dr_Death)
Maybe if you got a job, and showed that you could keep it, they would believe that you really could pay them back?
Yeah, you can start student driving at 15 1/2 yrs. How old u hafta be there??? :confused: A job might be useful, but it's not the money that's an issue. It's the fact that I won't be able to use it for a year. :rolleyes:
Dyakson
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah, you can start student driving at 15 1/2 yrs. How old u hafta be there??? :confused: A job might be useful, but it's not the money that's an issue. It's the fact that I won't be able to use it for a year. :rolleyes:
In England, you can start to learn and take the test at 17. For 50cc motorbikes, you can start driving at 16. Don't know about the rest of the UK...

But the insurace and taxes and maintenance costs and fuel prices are much higher too, annoyingly.
pissface
Rep:
?
In England, you can start to learn and take the test at 17. For 50cc motorbikes, you can start driving at 16. Don't know about the rest of the UK...

But the insurace and taxes and maintenance costs and fuel prices are much higher too, annoyingly.
aww...Im sorry. Fuel prices are surprisingly high here too, but not as much as where u live.
Dyakson
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
aww...Im sorry. Fuel prices are surprisingly high here too, but not as much as where u live.
Let's develop cars that can run on sunflower oil...

If you can't use the car for a year, why not get it later? Or, persuade your parents that they need another car, and they can use it until you can take the test and drive yourself, at which point you'll start paying them back?
Golden Maverick
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No, really, fuel prices are not high where you live - $1.70 - 1.80 /gallon?
It's $5.50 - 6 here!!

On topic, I'd go with the job idea - you need some form of income to pay them back and it might persuade them that having the car would be beneficial overall.
pissface
Rep:
?
(Original post by Golden Maverick)
No, really, fuel prices are not high where you live - $1.70 - 1.80 /gallon?
It's $5.50 - 6 here!!

On topic, I'd go with the job idea - you need some form of income to pay them back and it might persuade them that having the car would be beneficial overall.
Wow...I thought 2.20 was expensive. :rolleyes: I like the sunflower oil idea, but then there might be a shortage of sunflowers.
pissface
Rep:
?
Let's develop cars that can run on sunflower oil...

If you can't use the car for a year, why not get it later? Or, persuade your parents that they need another car, and they can use it until you can take the test and drive yourself, at which point you'll start paying them back?
I can't get the car later because this car is so me! Mint Condition classic '67 mustang convertible stick shift really cheap and it belongs to my friends dad. he'll give me a good price, but he has to sell it this month. :hmpf:
Golden Maverick
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I can't get the car later because this car is so me! Mint Condition classic '67 mustang convertible stick shift really cheap and it belongs to my friends dad. he'll give me a good price, but he has to sell it this month. :hmpf:
1st car!?!? You lucky
Grumble, that'd cost a mint to insure over here at least :rolleyes:
Natalie Lane
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
can't you tell your parents just that then

If it's really a good price then they'll accept it...
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Wow...I thought 2.20 was expensive. :rolleyes: I like the sunflower oil idea, but then there might be a shortage of sunflowers.
Get a diesel
Dyakson
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by juno_the)
Get a diesel
The only diesels I've driven are the landrovers at the gliding club. I love them, because you sit in the driver's seat (or what used to be a seat before all the stuffing left) and find about a dozen extra controls you have never seen before, and just starting the engine is an adventure in itself - "Is that the choke? No, it's the fuel shutoff switch." - kind of thing.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The only diesels I've driven are the landrovers at the gliding club. I love them, because you sit in the driver's seat (or what used to be a seat before all the stuffing left) and find about a dozen extra controls you have never seen before, and just starting the engine is an adventure in itself - "Is that the choke? No, it's the fuel shutoff switch." - kind of thing.
You can run them on vegetable oil if you know what you're doing
Dyakson
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by juno_the)
You can run them on vegetable oil if you know what you're doing
Well, I'm either doing mechanical or aerospace engineering, not automotive - so I don't know what I'm doing...
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
OK then. I don't know either
pissface
Rep:
?
I've told them that stuff, but i guess it's just not convincing enough. Id have to pay for storage. I think that's wut their issue is. :rolleyes:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (141)
46.08%
Pro-humanity (165)
53.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed