The Student Room Group

Does a British citizen living overseas count as an overseas student at UK University?

Hello,
I am a British Passport holding resident in Portugal but I'm looking to return to study at a UK university, preferably online.
With this status as non-res, do I now count as an international student and pay international student fees for university courses in the UK?
If this is the case, how long would I need to be resident in the UK for in order to qualify for non-international status?
Advice greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Reply 1
Generally, yes, you would be classed as international. To be considered a home student, you need to have been 'ordinarily resident' in the UK for the 3 years preceding the start of the academic course.

There are some exceptions; you can check this document to see if any of them fit your situation: https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/uploads/files/1/england_he_who_pays__home_fees_public_version2_28.5.21.pdf
Reply 2
You document says that until 2028 you have to be:-

1. A British National
2. Ordinary resident in the EEA (Portugal) on the 31st December 2020
3. Ordinary resident in the EEA on the 1st Jan 2021 until the year the course starts (2022)
4. An EEA resident for 3 years to (2022) and you were not a resident in order to receive full time education
5. Course must be in the UK (so not online, in Portugal)

Quick Reply

Latest