Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I've been wanting to be a car mechanic since I was young but I went on work experience at a garage and its actually hard. I helped a qualified mechanic with his job and it was hard because there's loads of different parts etc and it all his all complicated. I know the future of cars is becoming electric so I'm not sure if the structure of electric cars are easier, I've not really worked on electric cars, it was a Vauxhall garage so it was mostly Corsas or Astras coming in and the mechanic was explaining it to me about all the tools required and parts but it seems so complicated. It feels too much for me to remember so I don't know what I want to do anymore.

Also someone told me like mechanic is a job that no one wants to do but they have to because they don't have any qualifications and I was told its a manual labour job which is stigmatised. I don't want to be made fun of for having a manual labour job. Someone said its low paid as well but one of the mechanics had a Range so I don't know if people are chatting bull. I don't want people to take this piss out of me for doing a manual labour job.
SummerStrawberry
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
On the points in your first paragraph: it's not unusual for people to like the idea of a job and after spending some time in work experience realise that they don't like the reality of the job. Pretty much every career you can think of has good parts and bad parts, and you'll never be able to escape doing things you're not completely happy with, but they're the price of getting to do the things you really want to do. The question you have to ask yourself is whether or not the difficulty of working with the complexity of the vehicles is worth it for you. In truth, you'll probably learn a lot more than you'd think possible just by seeing and doing if you went to work as a mechanic. Everything is complicated when you first see it, but with time, effort, and experience it becomes much easier. There is definitely a trend towards electric cars which might change the job of a mechanic a bit, but they're still cars at the end of the day and they'll still need looking after in some way (tyres, brakes, etc.) even if they don't have an internal combustion engine. Even then, there'll still be old petrol/diesel cars on the roads for some time to come!

On the points in your second paragraph: as far as possible, don't make career decisions based on how other people might perceive you. They're not doing the job, and they'll be coming to you every year for their service/MOT. You'll spend around 80,000 hours of your life working, so as hard as it is to block out others' thoughts, don't let them sway you from choosing a career you'd really like.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by SummerStrawberry)
On the points in your first paragraph: it's not unusual for people to like the idea of a job and after spending some time in work experience realise that they don't like the reality of the job. Pretty much every career you can think of has good parts and bad parts, and you'll never be able to escape doing things you're not completely happy with, but they're the price of getting to do the things you really want to do. The question you have to ask yourself is whether or not the difficulty of working with the complexity of the vehicles is worth it for you. In truth, you'll probably learn a lot more than you'd think possible just by seeing and doing if you went to work as a mechanic. Everything is complicated when you first see it, but with time, effort, and experience it becomes much easier. There is definitely a trend towards electric cars which might change the job of a mechanic a bit, but they're still cars at the end of the day and they'll still need looking after in some way (tyres, brakes, etc.) even if they don't have an internal combustion engine. Even then, there'll still be old petrol/diesel cars on the roads for some time to come!

On the points in your second paragraph: as far as possible, don't make career decisions based on how other people might perceive you. They're not doing the job, and they'll be coming to you every year for their service/MOT. You'll spend around 80,000 hours of your life working, so as hard as it is to block out others' thoughts, don't let them sway you from choosing a career you'd really like.
Most jobs you spend most of your life working. It is a good job imo but I cba with all the stigma
Anonymous #1
On the points in your first paragraph: for people to like the idea of a job and after spending some time in work experience realise that they don't like the reality of the job. Pretty much every career you can think of has good parts and bad parts, and you'll never be able to escape doing things you're not completely happy with, but they're the price of getting to do the things you really want to do. The question you have to ask yourself is whether or not the difficulty of working with the complexity of the vehicles is worth it for you. In truth, you'll probably learn a lot more than you'd think possible just by seeing and doing if you went to work as a mechanic. Everything is complicated when you first see it, but with time, effort, and experience it becomes much easier. There is definitely a trend towards electric cars which might change the job of a mechanic a bit, but they're still cars at the end of the day and they'll still need looking after in some way (tyres, brakes, etc.) even if they don't have an internal combustion engine. Even then, there'll still be old petrol/diesel cars on the roads for some time to come!

Most jobs you spend most of your life working. It is a good job imo but I cba with all the stigma
SummerStrawberry
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
Exactly - so make sure you do what you want, rather than what a couple of people may or may not consider to be a 'good job'!
martin7
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've been wanting to be a car mechanic since I was young but I went on work experience at a garage and its actually hard. I helped a qualified mechanic with his job and it was hard because there's loads of different parts etc and it all his all complicated. I know the future of cars is becoming electric so I'm not sure if the structure of electric cars are easier, I've not really worked on electric cars, it was a Vauxhall garage so it was mostly Corsas or Astras coming in and the mechanic was explaining it to me about all the tools required and parts but it seems so complicated. It feels too much for me to remember so I don't know what I want to do anymore.
There's a difference between being shown something and being taught it. Work experience is experiencing the world of work, not being taught a skill.

Also someone told me like mechanic is a job that no one wants to do but they have to because they don't have any qualifications and I was told its a manual labour job which is stigmatised. I don't want to be made fun of for having a manual labour job. Someone said its low paid as well but one of the mechanics had a Range so I don't know if people are chatting bull. I don't want people to take this piss out of me for doing a manual labour job.
Being a mechanic is skilled labour -- just like being an electrician, gas fitter, plumber, carpenter, brick layer etc. These are all roles that society needs and values. (And there's plenty of non-skilled labour that society needs too.)
Last edited by martin7; 2 months ago
Anonymous #1
Exactly - so make sure you do what you want, rather than what a couple of people may or may not consider to be a 'good job'!
I just don’t want people taking the piss out of me

(Original post by martin7)
There's a difference between being shown something and being taught it. Work experience is experiencing the world of work, not being taught a skill.

Being a mechanic is skilled labour -- just like being an electrician, gas fitter, plumber, carpenter, brick layer etc. These are all roles that society needs and values. (And there's plenty of non-skilled labour that society needs too.)
Yeah
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I just don’t want people taking the piss out of me
They won't be taking the piss when you are fixing their car. And no one worth caring about would take the piss out of you for having a job and earning a living.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (18)
8.33%
Okay (64)
29.63%
A bit lacking (81)
37.5%
Not good at all (53)
24.54%

Watched Threads