The Student Room Group

Doing a Language A Level in Gap Year?

(I hope that this is the right forum)
So the A Levels I'm doing don't have enough overlap (English Lit, German, Maths, and Physics). I was planning on doing Further Maths instead of English but because of timetables this would mean I'd have to alternate between German and Further Maths or mostly self-study. While the school would be willing to let me do this because of my GCSE grades, I feel like it would be a bit chaotic and I don't really want to drop English either. So I have two options, either I drop German and do Further Maths instead (which I don't really want to do since I love languages), or drop English and self-study half of German and FM.

With that being said, I was considering dropping German at A Level and then taking the German A Level as an independent candidate during my gap year (since I'm planning to go to Germany then anyway). I was wondering whether this would be reasonable, and if it would affect my chances of being able to study German or Linguistics as a degree if I were to choose that path. I would also be self-studying Japanese (mother tongue) during yrs 12 and 13 so I'm not exactly ditching languages in entirety...

(sorry that I keep hounding these boards lol it's the best place to get experienced answers)
bump :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest