fayrs
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i’m applying for university doing a levels rn (sociology, psychology and biology) and i’m stuck between doing international relations, international politics or social sciences. i’m not sure which one is better career wise.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For non-STEM jobs, employers wont be that specific - they will want a degree with good grades and some relevant work experience but the actual subject really will not be that important. IR, Politics and other social science degrees are not 'vocational' ie. they are not trainiing you for a specific job in the way that a Medicine or Engineering degree does.

The point of Soc Sci degrees is that they 'train your brain' and give you higher thinking skills - its this that employers value not the specific subject knowledge. Mor example, many people think that an IR degree is essential for 'working at the Foreign Office' etc and actually any degree with a good grade will do for the graduate Fast Stream schemes.

IR and International Politics are actually the same subjects with a different name and 'Politics', 'Sociology', 'Interantonal Development', etc will cover many similar themes. Dont get hung up on degree titles or 'what career they lead to' - choose a degree subjects you will enjoy studying. If you want to add to your CV, look at degrees that include workplacements or study abroad.

Careers with a Politics degree : https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...egree/politics
Careers page from Uni of Surrey - https://www.surrey.ac.uk/features/to...olitics-degree
Politics jobs listings - http://www.w4mpjobs.org/SearchJobs.aspx?search=alljobs
Goverment Fast Stream - https://www.faststream.gov.uk/
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by fayrs)
i’m applying for university doing a levels rn (sociology, psychology and biology) and i’m stuck between doing international relations, international politics or social sciences. i’m not sure which one is better career wise.
Hi,

IR student here! I would say that you should look at what you want to do after graduation, is it something specific? The nice thing about the subjects you're considering is that they lead to many different paths.

I can't speak to social sciences as I haven't studied that, but having done politics, law and IR, I can tell you that IR is the broadest because it's got a lot of things, such as, but not limited to: economy, development, global humanitarian issues, the influence of tech on the world, history, languages, theories and themes such as feminism or postcolonialism and international law. International Politics does not look at all those themes, as it focuses mostly on global politics, whereas IR looks at all the ways we relate to each other as as global community.

That said, I think you could look at the unis that you want to apply to and see what courses they offer under those degrees as some IR and international politics (and I'm sure sociology) are taught differently at different unis. Hope this helps! All the best.

Samantha, Official UoP Rep
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
I can't speak to social sciences as I haven't studied that, but having done politics, law and IR,
That IS social science.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by McGinger)
That IS social science.
Hi,

I meant I have not studied 'social sciences' generally or as a whole, as that is a wide umbrella term, and, contrary to popular belief, IR actually falls under humanities and social sciences as it covers fields in both areas of academic practise. Additionally, in some universities it can be considered a BA or a Bsc, it just depends. If someone only studies addition and nothing else in mathematics, it would not be accurate of them to say that they have studied mathematics in its entirety. As such, seeing as I have not studied many disciplines within social science such as psychology or media studies for example, it wouldn't really be accurate of me to say I have studied social sciences - rather it is better to be specific, for the sake of clarity and in order to be more helpful to the thread starter. Hope this helps!

Samantha, Official UoP Rep
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by fayrs)
Hi.
I don't think it is possible to define which one of these is 'better career wise', as they are more or less the same. Try looking at the course summary on the university website you would like to go to, and go from there. You can compare these courses directly, and see what subjects are they concerned with, which may help you figure out the one you would enjoy more.
What I would be careful of is that unless you want to do Masters as well, do not choose such broad subjects. I am a student of IR, and as it has been said by someone else here, it focuses on a lot of different things. I love this about IR and I have always wanted to do Masters to specialize further in my field of study, however, it is not for everybody.

Hope this helped.

Tereza
Student Ambassador
International Relations Student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (319)
57.27%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (77)
13.82%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (63)
11.31%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (49)
8.8%
I haven't started researching yet (28)
5.03%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
3.77%

Watched Threads