The Student Room Group

Parents and Gf

Hey guys,

me and my gf have been dating for 4 years now. We are both the same age and are turning 20 soon and are university students.

The issue is my parents. They have a very old traditional mindset for example, you get a partner around the age you are gonna get married, date the person for 1 year or so and bam get married.

I dont want to get married yet as I am not ready lol but my parents dont want to meet her or even show any interest in her. They always try to push me away from her saying stuff like you can find someone better or always putting her down why she is not the person although I always tell them that I am very happy with her.

My gf has been asking me when she can meet my parents because we have been dating for 4 years and soon to be 20 years old. I am always very open and honest with her, with the kind of responses my parents give, but my parents won't move an inch. I am super confused on how can I get my parents to respectfully get to know her.

I have met my gf's mum and my gf thinks its unfair that my parents don't want to meet her.
What can I do?

Many Thanks
Don't let your parents get in the way of your love. If they are telling you that you can do better when they haven't even met her then ask them if they can at least meet her
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Don't let your parents get in the way of your love. If they are telling you that you can do better when they haven't even met her then ask them if they can at least meet her

Thats the issue, I always tell them that how can you not know the person and make judgment on them. and after when I say that, they start making excuses, how she can be different or this and that. extremely childish and they wont stop.
Thats the issue, I always tell them that how can you not know the person and make judgment on them. and after when I say that, they start making excuses, how she can be different or this and that. extremely childish and they wont

Tell them how much u love her and if you go to see them then just bring her
Reply 4
Tell them how much u love her and if you go to see them then just bring her

I tried that, they wouldnt invite her in and they just walked upstairs without saying hello at all

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending