MEDICINE OR NOT? gap year?

Watch this thread
kelisa945
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
So I'm in Year 13 right now, I take Biology Chemistry and Sociology. I go to a sixth form and for my AS grades I got
B for Biology
D for chemistry
B for Sociology
and B for business(which I've dropped now).
My UCAT is in 9 days time- right now on medify I'm averaging around 620.
My school needs UCAS applications in by the 30th
I'm a very indecisive person at this stage in my life right now I'm not really sure if I want to do medicine
Also, I spoke to my teachers and they said this year will be very hard to get into medicine due to teachers giving students really high grades for 2021. exams, and some unis for medicine have even paid their students thousands each to take gap years because of the number of students getting accepted into unis. So they will only be accepting the top of the top students. I have no Plan B and like I wrote above I am really indecisive.
I cant apply for foundation year med because they dont accept predictions of AAC which is what I have, and universities wont want to accept a student that has AAC predictions when there is hundreds of other students getting AAA and above. Should I take a gap year and not apply this year so I can focus on getting the best grades and also do some work experience on the side so I can add that in my personal statement or should I go through the stress application to uni e.g interviews etc when I dont even know 100% if I wat to do it. My biggest fear is that I take a gap year and apply again and dont get in. help!
icecream2021
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by kelisa945)
So I'm in Year 13 right now, I take Biology Chemistry and Sociology. I go to a sixth form and for my AS grades I got
B for Biology
D for chemistry
B for Sociology
I'm a very indecisive person at this stage in my life right now I'm not really sure if I want to do medicine
Also, I spoke to my teachers and they said this year will be very hard to get into medicine due to teachers giving students really high grades for 2021. exams, and some unis for medicine have even paid their students thousands each to take gap years because of the number of students getting accepted into unis. So they will only be accepting the top of the top students. I have no Plan B and like I wrote above I am really indecisive.
I cant apply for foundation year med because they dont accept predictions of AAC which is what I have, and universities wont want to accept a student that has AAC predictions when there is hundreds of other students getting AAA and above. Should I take a gap year and not apply this year so I can focus on getting the best grades and also do some work experience on the side so I can add that in my personal statement or should I go through the stress application to uni e.g interviews etc when I dont even know 100% if I wat to do it. My biggest fear is that I take a gap year and apply again and dont get in. help!
I mean what's the worst that can happen you'll get rejected, still apply for medicine but also stay focused on improving your grades

you never know you might just get in, if not you can just take the gap year route and reapply the following year

I have a friend who took a gap year but her other friend got in, so its just based on luck
kelisa945
Rep:
(Original post by icecream2021)
I mean what's the worst that can happen you'll get rejected, still apply for medicine but also stay focused on improving your grades

you never know you might just get in, if not you can just take the gap year route and reapply the following year

I have a friend who took a gap year but her other friend got in, so its just based on luck
The reason why I dont think I should apply this year too is because of the immense stress you have to go through with the whole application processes like interviews etc and I feel like I would be wasting invaluable time
2500_2
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by kelisa945)
B for Biology
D for chemistry
B for Sociology
Is there a different degree you'd like to do or are you truly dedicated to medicine? What work experience have you done and has that given you motivation?
SuttonOG
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
ask to get your predicted of C up to an A as you need it for medicine, do what you have to/anything you can to get it upped.
kelisa945
Rep:
(Original post by 2500_2)
Is there a different degree you'd like to do or are you truly dedicated to medicine? What work experience have you done and has that given you motivation?
ive worked in a care home for a few months now, I've also worked at a fertility clinic with embryologists and GYN/OBS and I've done a nuffield research placement and Nottingham summer school. It has motivated me. The thing is i genuinely don't know what other degrees to do I've done so much research and even though I'm still not 100% sure on medicine, it is the one that interests me the most.
kelisa945
Rep:
(Original post by SuttonOG)
ask to get your predicted of C up to an A as you need it for medicine, do what you have to/anything you can to get it upped.
because i got a D for AS level, they are only supposed to raise my predicted grade one grade higher, two at an absolute max. none of my teachers have ever raised it three. : /
SuttonOG
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
I got DEU in AS and asked and got my predicteds from ABB TO AAA just by demanding, i tried further but they wouldnt but atleast I tried and it paid off. Not sure what your teachers are like but if you explain how big of a deal it is they might?
kelisa945
Rep:
(Original post by SuttonOG)
I got DEU in AS and asked and got my predicteds from ABB TO AAA just by demanding, i tried further but they wouldnt but atleast I tried and it paid off. Not sure what your teachers are like but if you explain how big of a deal it is they might?
ill try that thankyou. my teachers arent like that but ill try and persuade them
HaruhiSuoh
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
I think you should still apply so that if you take a gap year you have some experience to what the process is like and if you manage to get an interview you’ll have some experience too with that even if you get rejected.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (134)
66.34%
No (46)
22.77%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
10.89%

Watched Threads