Yet again inpatient services commissioned by the NHS are shown to be not fit for dogs

Watch
brjf
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Alas, this is what happens when you underfund the system (and what funding you do put in goes to the wrong places, like admin) several of these issues, just as with geriatric care, seem to stem from hiring people who are grossly unqualified for the job as well as possibly being sociopathes as well. Strange, considering you go into medicine to help people..

More to the point though, how wide spread is this? This seems to deal with a single institution, unless my skim reading has led me astray?

True say on Diddy though.
More of a case of misappropriating the funds, given that the department of HSC was given £171 billion, second biggest funding after the DWP
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
I'm not saying admin and the ancillary serves are a complete waste of money but the vast amount of resources devoted to them is clearly OTT. In a similar vein to most other projects, both government and private, they always end up bringing on far too many administrators and surplus personnel which ends up creating mass cost overruns (like in the case of the NHS)
The amount spent on administration in the NHS is small compared to countries with private health systems like the US. More money is spent on legal disputes between insurers and health providers in the US than the entire NHS admin budget.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by brjf)
More of a case of misappropriating the funds, given that the department of HSC was given £171 billion, second biggest funding after the DWP
Average spending on health per capita is lower in the UK than in most other developed countries.
username4986690
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by glassalice)
Wish DiddyDec was still an active user… he would have been all over this story.
I am aware of the story and unfortunately it is entirely predictable and nothing new.

(Original post by Napp)
More to the point though, how wide spread is this? This seems to deal with a single institution, unless my skim reading has led me astray?
Very wide spread as detailed by the Out of Sight - who cares? Report on this very topic just last year.

https://www.cqc.org.uk/publications/...work/rssreview
username4986690
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
It does beg the question of where the money could better be diverted from though, its not like the NHS is lacking funds, it having tens opf billions of pounds a year to play with but most of it seems to sink into a black hole of admin, dubious public funded treatments like plastic surgery or sex changes and so on
Vast sums of money are in fact paid to private contractors that sap the NHS of billion of pounds every year. Money that could be used to hire an in house team to do the same work at a tiny fraction of the cost.

To put it this way, I'm a data analyst that previously worked on direct NHS contracts. The work I undertook cost the NHS about £1m while I was paid a salary of £25K. If they had employed me directly even with pension contributions that figure wouldn't even have come close to 10% of the overall cost. That is just small contract compared to the thousands of others that cost a hell of a lot more.

They hire architects to plan internal refurbishment like painting the walls or changing the flooring. Having worked in property management this is completely overkill for the requirements of the task and costs tens of thousands in professional fees. If they have a whole programme of works on a number of properties the architects will be paid tens of thousands for each property. So just planning to paint the walls at say 12 GP surgeries has cost the NHS £120K before a pot of paint has even been bought and we haven't even got on to the private contractors costs to actually do the painting.

It is not the cost of care that cripples the NHS, it is pissing money up the wall on needless private contracts to the tune of £9.7b a year.
username4986690
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
They literally just piss it away, because they are not accountable. That money must be spent, so like you said it’s given in eye watering amounts. This is why I’m so for privatisation in general. It’s stops situations like the NHS happening. If you have no accountability and an endless budget, how on earth do you breed enterprise and innovation? For what it’s worth, I get MRI scans every year, and in my trust this is privatised to an extent and the service I receive is first class.
Given that every single GP surgery in the country is a privately contracted service why are they not leading the service with enterprise and innovation as you call it?
brjf
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Average spending on health per capita is lower in the UK than in most other developed countries.
Are you taking into account the proportion of population there? Care to provide some data to back that up?
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by brjf)
Are you taking into account the proportion of population there? Care to provide some data to back that up?
Per capita means per head of population. Just Google it, you'll quickly find it's true.
username4986690
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by brjf)
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...ies/2019-08-29

brjf
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Per capita means per head of population. Just Google it, you'll quickly find it's true.
I’m aware of what it means,m
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by brjf)
I’m aware of what it means,m
Perhaps I misunderstood your question then - what did you mean when you asked about the proportion of the population?
!Capercaillie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Vast sums of money are in fact paid to private contractors that sap the NHS of billion of pounds every year. Money that could be used to hire an in house team to do the same work at a tiny fraction of the cost.

To put it this way, I'm a data analyst that previously worked on direct NHS contracts. The work I undertook cost the NHS about £1m while I was paid a salary of £25K. If they had employed me directly even with pension contributions that figure wouldn't even have come close to 10% of the overall cost. That is just small contract compared to the thousands of others that cost a hell of a lot more.

They hire architects to plan internal refurbishment like painting the walls or changing the flooring. Having worked in property management this is completely overkill for the requirements of the task and costs tens of thousands in professional fees. If they have a whole programme of works on a number of properties the architects will be paid tens of thousands for each property. So just planning to paint the walls at say 12 GP surgeries has cost the NHS £120K before a pot of paint has even been bought and we haven't even got on to the private contractors costs to actually do the painting.

It is not the cost of care that cripples the NHS, it is pissing money up the wall on needless private contracts to the tune of £9.7b a year.
Well said. It is frightening the way the government pisses money up the wall then we have to pick up the bill with higher taxes.
username4986690
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by !Capercaillie)
Well said. It is frightening the way the government pisses money up the wall then we have to pick up the bill with higher taxes.
The Government pisses money into their friends' bank accounts to be more accurate.

https://www.sophie-e-hill.com/post/my-little-crony/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (45)
13.16%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (93)
27.19%
I'm a bit unsure (60)
17.54%
I'm finding things difficult (114)
33.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
8.77%

Watched Threads