The Student Room Group

Degree classification

I have received my final results at university - we were told according to the university regulations that the degree classification is given from calculating either the best 200 credits or 100 credits. I calculated both ways and received a comfortable 2:1 (65%) however, some students have been informed that the percentage does not just equate to your degree and that they also look at your overall academic performance. Although, it states in the regulations your highest percentage is awarded to you. I am highly confused about this and believe I worked hard for a 2:1 and have in fact achieved a 2:1, but some modules are lower whereas some modules are a first. Can anyone offer any advice on this or just some input - it would be really appreciated.
What do you need help with?
Your degree classification regulations will be listed in your student handbook/university regulations. If you have questions then you need to ask someone in your university student records office about the rules- not listen to rumours from fellow students
You need to get an explanation from the course tutor - you are asking valid questions but this forum cannot answer them without knowing the regulations for the uni and for the department. If you feel there is something unclear with your marks you have every right to raise your concerns.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
What do you need help with?
Your degree classification regulations will be listed in your student handbook/university regulations. If you have questions then you need to ask someone in your university student records office about the rules- not listen to rumours from fellow students

It’s not about listening to rumours - I wanted to know if other universities had a similar method to calculate degree classifications - as stated in the university regulations, they award you the highest grade from one of the 3 outcomes given however, they are now telling students even if they score a 1st or 2:1, it doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll achieve that in the degree. Hence why I wanted to ask if anyone has heard of anything similar at other uni’s and if this is possible
Reply 4
Original post by ashahid7
It’s not about listening to rumours - I wanted to know if other universities had a similar method to calculate degree classifications - as stated in the university regulations, they award you the highest grade from one of the 3 outcomes given however, they are now telling students even if they score a 1st or 2:1, it doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll achieve that in the degree. Hence why I wanted to ask if anyone has heard of anything similar at other uni’s and if this is possible

Universities have significant autonomy in how they calculate degree classifications.

Some look at the best 100 credits in each year, some have special rules that apply if a student is within 1 or 2% of a grade boundary, etc.

I'd be very surprised to find a university that had more than one way to calculate a degree outcome and then chose to use one that didn't provide the student with the highest classification.
There’s as many degree classification algorithms as there are universities. Probably more. https://www.universitiesuk.ac.uk/sites/default/files/uploads/Reports/degree-algorithm-practice-2020-research.pdf
Hii i m student of mba it is compulsory to get 180 credits and 30 credits of each module for clearing a degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending