The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

nope
Original post by Anonymous
So today I broke up with my bf as agreed because I was going off to Uni, I have left open the possibility of us getting back together after I finish my course, I feel sad as he was my first but I know it is the right choice. Has anyone broke up with their partners or are going to break up with their partners for uni?

Was the distance the reason?
Reply 3
Original post by WazzWazz98
Was the distance the reason?

yes
Reply 4
I also didn't want to be tied down living in halls
I mean you were never right for each other anyway if you both agreed without even trying
if you broke up just because of the distance then that's ridiculous.
Don't leave the door open. If you can end a relationship over this then it's a sign that it's not meant to be. Tell him it's over rather than letting him believe that there is chance that you two will actually get together 3-4yrs down the line. This will allow you both to move on and meet people who are a better fit.

I'm starting my postgrad next week and wouldn't dream of ending my relationship over it. I care far too much about her to let her go.
(edited 2 years ago)
I have left open the possibility of us getting back together after I finish my course,

I also didn't want to be tied down living in halls

Why are you treating him like some kind of back up option
Lol what's the point of an rs if you end it for not wanting to be 'tied down'
Really my question was has anyone else broke up for uni
no that was kinda stupid u feel, guilty and want to feel relieved when u hear someone else has too
sorry but we are responsible adults and we dont dump guys when were going to the corner shop!!
lmfaooooooooooooo
No, I've always been single.
You do make him seem like a backup option I'll admit. And should probably cut things off with him completely instead of giving hope, cause false hope is really tough on the heart when you really do care about someone

But my last boyfriend broke up with me, because he was worried I'd meet someone new in uni and because he already had a lost of insecurities about losing me, it got to his head that I would cheat on him or end up hurting him if we moved away (different countries) - I've never given him a reason to doubt me, and loved him with all my heart but it didn't work out, he couldn't keep it going. Not at all like what happened with you and your ex, but well that's my story.

Took me half a year to get over him and move on and accept that it wouldn't work with us. And in time, I met another guy at uni who's sweet and really likes me, and we've been together for just a few days now, so yea
I mean you should be honest that "when I finish my course" is just a platitude. I would doubt there's a realistic chance you will go back to him in 3 or 4 years.

If you view the relationship as being "tied down" rather than wanting to be with that person, it's probably for the best, anyway. It shouldn't feel like that.
If you wanted to work through it you could - however chose to dismiss this option. If you both had the willingness it could work. Instead of keep the door open - end the relationship rather than keeping a layer of ‘false hope’.
He actually texted me today pleading for me to change my mind
ur actually really tytttttt
If this didn't involve real, living, breathing people (especially the lad) this would be hilarious.
He actually texted me today pleading for me to change my mind

Remain firm, even if he tries to guilt you into returning to him. If you get back together you will only end up breaking his heart again in a few days/weeks/months time.

Latest

Trending

Trending