Medicine- Need a level chem, don’t like it, what do I do

Watch this thread
goneclear
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
hey,
i need chem a lvl for medicine, dont rlly like it n its kinda tricky too, i just started year12 MAY drop it not too sure, what unis accept bio a level only and what are the chances of getting in? im doing bio chem
psychology but might change to bio psych econ, i heard some unis accept bio psych or even bio,

ps i got 88887777 at gcse,
please advise me

Also I qualify for wp flags so I may need a B in chem, if so is that still hard? I could always put up with it? I like bio n psych , what do i think
englishhopeful98
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
how do you think that you will like medicine then?
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
A similar situation has been discussed on this thread.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7091659
Doing chemistry will keep your options open as it is required by most medical schools.
aaziafe
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by goneclear)
hey,
i need chem a lvl for medicine, dont rlly like it n its kinda tricky too, i just started year12 MAY drop it not too sure, what unis accept bio a level only and what are the chances of getting in? im doing bio chem
psychology but might change to bio psych econ, i heard some unis accept bio psych or even bio,

please advise me

Also I qualify for wp flags so I may need a B in chem, if so is that still hard? I could always put up with it? I like bio n psych , what do i think
Hi, I did the exact same A Levels as you. I also found A Level Chemistry really tricky at first but it honestly gets easier towards the end of the year. It clicked for me quite late, yet I ended up doing well, so I’m sure you’ll be able to too. It wont be too hard as long as you try to understand the content and then complete past paper questions on each topic. Take advantage of online resources and videos. Be sure to ask your teachers for help if you struggle with any particular topics
becausethenight
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
hey,

please advise me

Have a look at the A levels thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5611422

I would grit my teeth and get through Chem UNLESS you feel there is no way you can get an A (or the grade you need as WP). Bio + 2 arts subjects or Bio + psych + 3rd subject will be quite restrictive in where you can apply though, could you take Bio + Physics/Maths + 3rd subject?
goneclear
Rep:
(Original post by becausethenight)
Have a look at the A levels thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5611422

I would grit my teeth and get through Chem UNLESS you feel there is no way you can get an A (or the grade you need as WP). Bio + 2 arts subjects or Bio + psych + 3rd subject will be quite restrictive in where you can apply though, could you take Bio + Physics/Maths + 3rd subject?
Hate maths and physics
goneclear
Rep:
(Original post by becausethenight)

Manchester
, Sheffield
, Kent and Medway
, Leicester
, Keele, 
Lancaster, 

Newcastle, 

UEA, Southampton, Plymouth

Isn’t this enough options?
goneclear
Rep:
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
A similar situation has been discussed on this thread.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7091659
Doing chemistry will keep your options open as it is required by most medical schools.
Manchester
, Sheffield
, Kent and Medway
, Leicester
, Keele, 
Lancaster, 

Newcastle, 

This is enough no? I meet the gcse requirements, I got 8888777754(Arabic and graphics - 4/5) the two 7s are l2d
TheMedicOwl
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Manchester
, Sheffield
, Kent and Medway
, Leicester
, Keele, 
Lancaster, 

Newcastle, 

This is enough no? I meet the gcse requirements, I got 8888777754(Arabic and graphics - 4/5) the two 7s are l2d
Bear in mind you also need to sit the UCAT and it isn't possible to choose your universities until you know your score, as they all have different cutoffs. Not getting a high enough UCAT would close even more doors. Taking two sciences is the best way to increase your chances.

Saying that, if you actively dislike most science subjects then medicine seems like a strange course to choose.
goneclear
Rep:
(Original post by Incidentaloma)
Bear in mind you also need to sit the UCAT and it isn't possible to choose your universities until you know your score, as they all have different cutoffs. Not getting a high enough UCAT would close even more doors. Taking two sciences is the best way to increase your chances.

Saying that, if you actively dislike most science subjects then medicine seems like a strange course to choose.
I like the medical side to it, diseases, infections, etc etc, I’m just saying, do I NEED to do chem, if I can go another way around it, which is bio psych, do you know whether these unis ^^ require a high ucat?
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Manchester
, Sheffield
, Kent and Medway
, Leicester
, Keele, 
Lancaster, 

Newcastle, 

Lancaster is the only BMAT uni out of those.
Newcastle and Sheffield have always had high UCAT cutoffs.
Not too familiar with the other ones to comment on their entry requirements.
becausethenight
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Manchester
, Sheffield
, Kent and Medway
, Leicester
, Keele, 
Lancaster, 

Newcastle, 

Isn’t this enough options?
As incidentaloma said, the issue is that you will need other scores to get interviewed there, so ideally it is best not to limit your choices unless you have to.

An average UCAT score would drop those by 3 and put you on the risky holistic path at Manchester where your GCSEs would likely be a bit of a barrier to interview.

Lancaster requires BMAT, you’d need a high UCAT to compensate for your 7s at Leicester, and Keele and KMMS have very subjective scoring criteria.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (62)
15.58%
The paper was reasonable (194)
48.74%
Not feeling great about that exam... (100)
25.13%
It was TERRIBLE (42)
10.55%

Watched Threads