siobhaindoyle
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm going to have to submit my UCAS form by Monday as I'm doing the early deadline as I'm applying to Cambridge. I'm definitely sure on picking Cambridge, Imperial and Bath. I need to decide on 2 more for UCAS, i'm deciding between Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Loughborough, UCL. I really need some advice, I'm not keen on London if im honest im only doing ICL cuz its high ranked, I'm leaning more towards Leeds + one more but im not sure.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You don’t need to add all your options at once. Is this a school requirement?
ChemEngWeekly
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well, it all depends on what sort of safety net you want to set yourself with the whole idea of setting 2 above/ at your grade requirements, 2 at and minimum 1 below your grade requirements. I would suggest look into the student satisfaction for sure and how much of a pedigree the university has for ChemEng e.g. Manchester is literally 'the birthplace' of chemical engineering, so it is well recognised worldwide in the field.

For other considerations, I have actually put a video up explaining what to consider when selecting your 5 uni choices on YouTube (it wont let me link it, but the channel is the same as my username- Chemengweekly- and it is the video called top things to consider) and that may be of use to you perhaps.
Of course, any other questions, feel free to reply here or on that video!
siobhaindoyle
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ChemEngWeekly)
Well, it all depends on what sort of safety net you want to set yourself with the whole idea of setting 2 above/ at your grade requirements, 2 at and minimum 1 below your grade requirements. I would suggest look into the student satisfaction for sure and how much of a pedigree the university has for ChemEng e.g. Manchester is literally 'the birthplace' of chemical engineering, so it is well recognised worldwide in the field.

For other considerations, I have actually put a video up explaining what to consider when selecting your 5 uni choices on YouTube (it wont let me link it, but the channel is the same as my username- Chemengweekly- and it is the video called top things to consider) and that may be of use to you perhaps.
Of course, any other questions, feel free to reply here or on that video!
Thank you so so much that was really helpful information, I'll definitely take that into consideration and make sure i watch ur video, im probably going to go for Cambridge, UCL, Bath, Manchester & Birmingham tbh. the only thing is my brother is in Manchester and i really don't wanna be in the same place as him but at the end of the day ik it is a massive campus so it wouldnt be all that bad.
ChemEngWeekly
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by siobhaindoyle)
Thank you so so much that was really helpful information, I'll definitely take that into consideration and make sure i watch ur video, im probably going to go for Cambridge, UCL, Bath, Manchester & Birmingham tbh. the only thing is my brother is in Manchester and i really don't wanna be in the same place as him but at the end of the day ik it is a massive campus so it wouldnt be all that bad.
No worries at all. Do definitely consider Manchester because it is a great university and if he isn’t studying the same course, it could still be fine. Like I did say on the video comment, those are really solid choices and I hope you can decide because ultimately it is up to you to make the decision, taking into account all of the guidance. any other questions, once again, don’t hesitate to ask
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm going to have to submit my UCAS form by Monday as I'm doing the early deadline as I'm applying to Cambridge. I'm definitely sure on picking Cambridge, Imperial and Bath. I need to decide on 2 more for UCAS, i'm deciding between Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Loughborough, UCL. I really need some advice, I'm not keen on London if im honest im only doing ICL cuz its high ranked, I'm leaning more towards Leeds + one more but im not sure.
Hi there!

My name is Leah and I am a final year chemical engineering student at the University of Bath.

If you have any questions about chemical engineering and the University of Bath, please let me know

Leah
Final Year Chemical Engineering
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As above you don't need to add the rest of your choices until before the January deadline.

I would note that I've seen a lot of negative comments about UCL engineering generally, so if you are already not keen on London I might suggest avoiding that one. I think Leeds is probably the strongest from that lot. The others are probably of similar standing, although for chemical engineering specifically I was more aware of Birmingham's course (mainly because they have some links to the nuclear industry which isn't widely available but is a major sector to consider for chemE grads).

Have you considered Scottish unis? There are a number of very strong chemE courses in Scotland, that draw from industrial connections with the O&G industry in the north sea. Heriot-Watt, Strathclyde, and Aberdeen in particular might be worth considering due to their strong industry connections.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (57)
14.65%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (98)
25.19%
I'm a bit unsure (67)
17.22%
I'm finding things difficult (133)
34.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (34)
8.74%

Watched Threads