SuttonOG
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Im looking to secure internships and work hard, a friend at cambridge told me internships have strict requirements for example your a-level and first year of uni grades. My A-levels are A*AC and I was told the C will let me down for a lot of them, not sure if this is true for all subjects though as he does bio and I do econ? Im aware for top econ graduate jobs/internships its really competitive and the school you went to plays a part. So will It be better career wise to go to Bristol after resitting chem with my A*AA overall or is it really not that big of a deal going york and getting a first?
I dont have on campus accomodation at york for the full first year, so Im not really looking forward to going.
Last edited by SuttonOG; 1 month ago
BenRyan99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SuttonOG)
Im looking to secure internships and work hard, a friend at cambridge told me internships have strict requirements for example your a-level and first year of uni grades. My A-levels are A*AC and I was told the C will let me down for a lot of them, not sure if this is true for all subjects though as he does bio and I do econ? Im aware for top econ graduate jobs/internships its really competitive and the school you went to plays a part. So will It be better career wise to go to Bristol after resitting chem with my A*AA overall or is it really not that big of a deal going york and getting a first?
I dont have on campus accomodation at york for the full first year, so Im not really looking forward to going.
On balance, I'd probably recommend taking a gap year.

Firstly, you don't sound like you're looking forward to it anyway and on-campus accomodation is pretty important for making friends. No point wasting 9k+ on a year you don't want to do.

Regarding careers, most economics and finance internships require ABB or AAB as the minimum a-level grades needed otherwise you'll get an auto rejection. Not sure if A*AC would pass these requirements or not. Bristol is also much better for Econ than York. If your looking to get into the Finance/Econ industry, you'll have a better shot at Bristol than York. The difference isn't massive but careers are quite important and you already seem hesitant about York anyway.
ppapanastasiou
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would also recommend like BenRyan99 a gap year and maybe retaking that A level to improve your grade.

Regarding studies the best places for economic degrees in my opinion are: LSE, UCL, Oxford (no pure econ degree PPE instead), Cambridge, Warwick and Bristol. Essex is also not bad in terms of research and a few constituent colleges of the University of London such as Goldsmiths, Royal Holloway and City are also in my opinion a good choice since they are small economic departments and one gets more "attention" from the academic faculty.

Regarding Business/Accounting/Finance courses the best degrees can be found at the following universities': LSE (not a pure business school but offers many Business/Accounting and Finance degrees), Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, Warwick, City (Bayes Business School, formerly Cass) and maybe Bath.
WombatZ
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ppapanastasiou)
I would also recommend like BenRyan99 a gap year and maybe retaking that A level to improve your grade.

Regarding studies the best places for economic degrees in my opinion are: LSE, UCL, Oxford (no pure econ degree PPE instead), Cambridge, Warwick and Bristol. Essex is also not bad in terms of research and a few constituent colleges of the University of London such as Goldsmiths, Royal Holloway and City are also in my opinion a good choice since they are small economic departments and one gets more "attention" from the academic faculty.

Regarding Business/Accounting/Finance courses the best degrees can be found at the following universities': LSE (not a pure business school but offers many Business/Accounting and Finance degrees), Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, Warwick, City (Bayes Business School, formerly Cass) and maybe Bath.
I have to say the opposite. York Economics is very well regarded and do the same subjects as the other universities. York is strong for econometrics and a first there will get you interviews just as well as Bristol or any other university. York is also a gorgeous town and campus. York is a Russell university just like Bristol. It is up to you during the interview. Remember you need a masters minimum today anyway if you want to get into Economics and be competitive so where you do that is much more important. Study at York than go to Warwick , Oxford or UCL for a masters.
ppapanastasiou
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by WombatZ)
I have to say the opposite. York Economics is very well regarded and do the same subjects as the other universities. York is strong for econometrics and a first there will get you interviews just as well as Bristol or any other university. York is also a gorgeous town and campus. York is a Russell university just like Bristol. It is up to you during the interview. Remember you need a masters minimum today anyway if you want to get into Economics and be competitive so where you do that is much more important. Study at York than go to Warwick , Oxford or UCL for a masters.
I never said that York is not good in economics. I just did not include it in my list since this list is non-exhaustive. Many other good unis can be mentioned such as Queen Mary (QM, also a Russell Group uni) and Nottingham (also a Russell Group uni).

York is plate glass uni. It was a member of the now defunct 1994 Group of universities. Together with QM, Durham and Exeter they are the newest members of the Russell Group (RG), they joined in 2012.

York indeed scores highly in the latest Research Excellence framework (REF) but because it a relatively small university and not a hard core civic university it has one of the lowest research income within the RG. See link here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Group
econhelp525
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
York is great for economics, but Bristol gets more students into IB. Not to say York doesn't also get students into IB, they do, and you won't be disadvantaged.

York is world leading in Health Economics, and as stated, econometrics is a strong concentration too.

However, your C at A-Level is an issue. There are some places that just look är UCAS grades, in which case there's no problem. But if a place explicitly states A Level grades, there might be a problem.

I'm aware York has been notoriously bad with accommodation this year. If you've been affected and put into Hull or something, take a gap year. Its not really worth waiting until January to be moved into the new college.

I'd be aware that Bristol is not a campus university, so I personally wouldn't have wanted to go there. But, their economics course is very good, and technical.

Have a look at both York's and Bristol's modules, and see which course you prefer.
ppapanastasiou
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Personally when I try to "value" the degree from a particular university I usually consider the following criteria, overall ranking of the university, research ranking of the university from the Research Excellence Framework (REF), entry criteria for that particular subject, research ranking for that particular subject.

In terms of overall ranking York scores as follows:
Complete (2022) 18
Guardian (2022) 18
Times / Sunday Times (2022) 19

As a whole institution York ranks 14th in the average Grade Point Average (GPA) in the latest REF from 2014 and 32nd on the intensity weighted GPA.

In terms of entry criteria York demands AAB or 35 IB points. These are good entry criteria but by no means stellar.

In terms of subject research ranking the latest REF from 2014 places York 14th in the latest Economics and Econometrics Subject Ranking and 26th in the latest Economics and Econometrics Subject Ranking based on intensity out of 28 universities that submitted.

From the above it seems that York is definitely a good university overall and for economics but is not an elite. In almost all metrics the following universities score higher (LSE, UCL, Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, Bristol, Edinburgh, Nottingham).

Obviously, which metric one decides is subjective and also the method used is also kind of subjective but generally speaking the metrics I outlined above are the ones usually used by most academics and students. Given the above information I would rate York as a top 10-20 university overall and in the top 15-30 for economics in my subjective and conditioned on the above metrics view.
Last edited by ppapanastasiou; 1 month ago
WombatZ
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ppapanastasiou)
Personally when I try to "value" the degree from a particular university I usually consider the following criteria, overall ranking of the university, research ranking of the university from the Research Excellence Framework (REF), entry criteria for that particular subject, research ranking for that particular subject.

In terms of overall ranking York scores as follows:
Complete (2022) 18
Guardian (2022) 18
Times / Sunday Times (2022) 19

As a whole institution York ranks 14th in the average Grade Point Average (GPA) in the latest REF from 2014 and 32nd on the intensity weighted GPA.

In terms of entry criteria York demands AAB or 35 IB points. These are good entry criteria but by no means stellar.

In terms of subject research ranking the latest REF from 2014 places York 14th in the latest Economics and Econometrics Subject Ranking and 26th in the latest Economics and Econometrics Subject Ranking based on intensity out of 28 universities that submitted.

From the above it seems that York is definitely a good university overall and for economics but is not an elite. In almost all metrics the following universities score higher (LSE, UCL, Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, Bristol, Edinburgh, Nottingham).

Obviously, which metric one decides is subjective and also the method used is also kind of subjective but generally speaking the metrics I outlined above are the ones usually used by most academics and students. Given the above information I would rate York as a top 10-20 university overall and in the top 15-30 for economics in my subjective and conditioned on the above metrics view.
I think you are putting a lot of weight on rankings and numbers which change yearly. I get sick of reading on here about these so called rankings all the time. Businesses don’t get resumes and then check rankings of universities. There are a lot of interns in London from European universities which all rank pretty the same . They don’t go oh this one is ranked 55 and this one is ranked 120 this year. A friend of mine interviews for interns at a financial markets firm. I was asking about this and they laughed. Recently they interviewed a number graduates including Oxbridge ( LSE , Cambridge and PPE graduate from Oxbridge) and gave the positions to graduates from Sheffield and Birmingham . Why, they just were better students who answered the questions better. They knew their stuff. There is this social media idea of rankings which honestly is not the real world. In Australia and Europe students in general just go to their local university they don’t care about this ranking thing like you do over here. Does that make them less competitive for intern jobs. Basically as there are heaps of European educated interns working in London. You Masters and PHD it is more important. My advice forget the rankings study where you want and learn as much as possible. Yes if you get into Oxford as an under graduate great but it does mean you get the job. It gets you an interview like any Russell University would. The other thing is if you get a first from a Russell Group university with strong econometrics you will be just as competitive getting into the Oxford two year masters programme. This idea of elite universities you refer is just simply silly for under graduate degrees and puts undue pressure on students.
ppapanastasiou
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
WombatZ actually I agree with all your points. But given the question here was about which university is better between York, Bristol and after the discussion included also other universities I believe an answer which includes some ranking is at least as informative as an answer well they are all roughly the same.

I believe most of all would agree that other things being equal a degree from LSE in economics has more "value" than a degree in economics from York. Obviously, life is more complicated than that and you never get two individuals which are equal in every respect so this is really a rhetorical question, but nevertheless one that renders an informative answer. I tried my best to answer it conditional on some subjective metrics. Another option is to say well it makes no difference since they are all good unis. That is also fine with me as an answer.
Last edited by ppapanastasiou; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (316)
57.25%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (77)
13.95%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (62)
11.23%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (48)
8.7%
I haven't started researching yet (28)
5.07%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
3.8%

Watched Threads