Permutation and combination

Watch this thread
papie
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
A girl has 11 objects to arrange on a shelf but there is room for only 7 of them. In how many ways she can arrange 7 of the objects on shelf if her clock must be included ?
I don't know how to do this. Actually i am completely lost on Permutation and combination chapter. Really need help badly . Thanks : )
Lej75
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by papie)
A girl has 11 objects to arrange on a shelf but there is room for only 7 of them. In how many ways she can arrange 7 of the objects on shelf if her clock must be included ?
I don't know how to do this. Actually i am completely lost on Permutation and combination chapter. Really need help badly . Thanks : )
If the clock has to be included, then there are six choices left for the objects on the shelf, so you need to find how many sets of 6 items from 10 there are. Then, you need to consider how many ways any set can be arranged (permuted) on the shelf. The total number takes into account each arrangement of each set.
papie
Rep:
(Original post by Lej75)
If the clock has to be included, then there are six choices left for the objects on the shelf, so you need to find how many sets of 6 items from 10 there are. Then, you need to consider how many ways any set can be arranged (permuted) on the shelf. The total number takes into account each arrangement of each set.
is this a permutation question or combination ?
Lej75
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by papie)
is this a permutation question or combination ?
Both, you need to consider the permutations of each combination of 7 objects
papie
Rep:
(Original post by Lej75)
Both, you need to consider the permutations of each combination of 7 objects
okay I'll try that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (68)
16.08%
The paper was reasonable (207)
48.94%
Not feeling great about that exam... (102)
24.11%
It was TERRIBLE (46)
10.87%

Watched Threads