A level choices

Watch this thread
SS1_
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I’m in yr11 and I’m thinking about A level choices. I’m not sure what career I want to choose so picking A levels is hard. I’m thinking: psychology, biology and chemistry or computer science. I’m at a grade 6 in bio and chem and I don’t take psychology or computer science for my GCSE’s. What careers are there for me with these choices and are they good choices because I have no idea. Also, is it bad that I haven’t considered maths or physics for A levels? And is a computer science A level worth it/better than a chemistry A level?
jackski!!
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
The best thing you want to do is make sure you select subjects which you do enjoy and also that give you a range of options after 6th form (particularly if you are indecisive on careers and your future). Biology and Chemistry are two very good subjects which complement each other very well. Given that you are not set on taking mathematics there isn't too much point in taking comp-sci as if you would like to pursue it further you will definitely need at least A level maths. They also don't fit very well with your other subjects and so you need to question whether that will be advantageous or not when applying for Uni. Psychology would certainly mix better with those subjects particularly if you were to go for a behavioural science type degree. Mathematics could also be a very good combo with bio and chem as that puts you in a particularly good position for medicine or bio/chem uni courses. The choice is up to you, just think about these things before you make a choice and don't fall into the trap that I and certainly many other did by not assessing how relevant each subject is to each other and how they combine for uni degrees.
T4ZE
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
This is a common issue which people your age struggle with. I completed my A levels this year. I only had a rough idea of “wanting to work with computers” and so I chose ICT, Business, Engineering and history. I ended up doing Accounting at Uni. As long as you have a rough idea of what field you want to work in, you will have no issues with those choices.

However, choosing chemistry and biology would mean you should choose a science based career. If you are still unsure, I would only choose one. Computer science is a tough one, it is maths based. You must excel at mathematics for this course, and by pursuing this career at University, you need A level maths unfortunately.

Don’t blindly choose your subjects. Give yourself a wide range of subjects if you are unsure of what you want to do. There’s nothing worse than choosing multiple similar subjects and not going wanting to work a job which involves them. Find a factor such as “working with maths”, “working with computers”, “working with others” ect. And choose subjects which Can be applicable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads