Feel awful about where I am in life and feel like I'm getting old

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am currently having take a year out before going into 2nd year of uni next year due to bad health, this means I'm going to graduate at 24, I feel awful about this and like I've let everyone down, I also feel like I'm getting old and everyones moved on with their lives but I'm stuck in the education stage. I want to get a corporate grad job but I don't think they like to hire people at the age I will be. Everyone in my age group will be 2-3 years into their grad schemes and I'll just be starting. I haven't really enjoyed life up until now and thought I would enjoy my work life but it feels so far away now
Runner12
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You’re never too old, I’m 47 and start my first year this month. There will be other people in the same situation. Be positive.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Runner12)
You’re never too old, I’m 47 and start my first year this month. There will be other people in the same situation. Be positive.
Im trying to keep that mentality but it's getting harder
Runner12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What degree were you doing, maybe another student can help.
Anonymous #1
What degree were you doing, maybe another student can help.
Economics
Runner12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hopefully someone will see your post and give you some help. All the best.
Anonymous #1
Hopefully someone will see your post and give you some help. All the best.
Thank you
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you
Bump
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Bump
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
I felt that way too, originally i started uni at 18 but it didn’t go well due to family issues and my mental health and I graduate at 23 now I’m a girl and I don’t feel as bad as when you realise there is no time on achievements everyone achieves at different paces

I don’t know about you, but i also come from a culture where judgements are thrown and people should be labelled married, graduated and working at a certain age which also makes you question yourself but remember it doesn’t matter how long it takes or how you get there as long as you get there in the end and your health is your main priority: )
Anonymous #1
I felt that way too, originally i started uni at 18 but it didn’t go well due to family issues and my mental health and I graduate at 23 now I’m a girl and I don’t feel as bad as when you realise there is no time on achievements everyone achieves at different paces

I don’t know about you, but i also come from a culture where judgements are thrown and people should be labelled married, graduated and working at a certain age which also makes you question yourself but remember it doesn’t matter how long it takes or how you get there as long as you get there in the end and your health is your main priority: )
Thanks for your message, it's because of them pressures I feel guilty about how it's gone. I can justify one year because I was retaking and I got much better grades but the rest I can't. As a male especially I'm supposed to help my family financially but this is just going to delay it. But I suppose once I do get a graduate job I can work even harder and try to move up even quicker
lojawa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Graduate schemes aren’t usually restricted by age, that wouldn’t tend to be lawful as it could be classed as age discrimination. An employer might request that you’ve graduated within X number of years of applying to the scheme but wouldn’t really specify an ideal age. 24 isn’t ‘old’ to be starting your career or applying to grad jobs, and you’d be surprised by the variation of people and age groups that apply for those jobs. I know this because I’ve asked graduate scheme recruiters, including EY, PWC & Deloitte, about whether they prefer young grads - the answer has always been that they have no preference, as long as you meet the application criteria. Bear in mind that Masters & PhD students will often also be applying for those jobs, who tend to be around your age and older.

The Civil Service Fast Stream, for example, routinely recruits people who graduated decades ago because of the experience and maturity they bring. They also do a specific Economics scheme, which opens in a few weeks.

You also aren’t usually required to submit your age on an application, and it’s definitely not advisable to include it on your CV as recruiters don’t want to be accused of age discrimination. An interviewer probably won’t be able to tell that you’re 24 unless you tell them.
Last edited by lojawa; 4 weeks ago
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
I am currently having take a year out before going into 2nd year of uni next year due to bad health, this means I'm going to graduate at 24, I feel awful about this and like I've let everyone down, I also feel like I'm getting old and everyones moved on with their lives but I'm stuck in the education stage. I want to get a corporate grad job but I don't think they like to hire people at the age I will be. Everyone in my age group will be 2-3 years into their grad schemes and I'll just be starting. I haven't really enjoyed life up until now and thought I would enjoy my work life but it feels so far away now
Honestly, I know the feeling. But the good thing is though is that at least you are still at uni. I got really good A-Level grades and had tried three different courses at uni over the last three years. None of them went well and I ended up failing this year so I'm a 22 year old drop out with no intention to go back to uni and I'm not sure on what to do with life with everyone I know having already graduated. Many ppl will be graduating at your age so I wouldn't be too bothered about it. I'd say just make sure to enjoy this year.
Anonymous #4
Report 4 weeks ago
Honestly don’t rush things. I constantly tell myself this everyday.. because I am doing the same thing. I graduated with the a science degree and got a well paying grad corporate job, but it was the most draining thing I had ever done so I left and now decided I wanted to pursue medicine (I f’ed up my entry exam this year and will retry next year.. I feel like I’m getting too old for it, but if there’s is something you really want you have to go for it and. Try your best- I’ll be graduating at 28 if I get in next year) You think what’s ahead is better and will bring you more happiness but it’s not always the case. Try to live in the moment without comparing yourself to anyone else because no individual has lived the same life as you. Some have it easier some don’t, be proud of getting through your illness and carrying on with education. For now concentrate on the degree your doing aim for a high mark so you can pass with a 1st or 2.1.
I wish you the best for the future
Anonymous #1
Honestly, I know the feeling. But the good thing is though is that at least you are still at uni. I got really good A-Level grades and had tried three different courses at uni over the last three years. None of them went well and I ended up failing this year so I'm a 22 year old drop out with no intention to go back to uni and I'm not sure on what to do with life with everyone I know having already graduated. Many ppl will be graduating at your age so I wouldn't be too bothered about it. I'd say just make sure to enjoy this year.
That's the thing, I got 3A's so everybodys expectations were really high and now I've ended up in this position but it's what has made it harder for me to enjoy anything. I have not told anyone about my situation when they believe I will be graduating in 2 years as I started on an Msci but it will be 3 now. The indecision and doubting is what has really hampered me
Anonymous #1
Honestly don’t rush things. I constantly tell myself this everyday.. because I am doing the same thing. I graduated with the a science degree and got a well paying grad corporate job, but it was the most draining thing I had ever done so I left and now decided I wanted to pursue medicine (I f’ed up my entry exam this year and will retry next year.. I feel like I’m getting too old for it, but if there’s is something you really want you have to go for it and. Try your best- I’ll be graduating at 28 if I get in next year) You think what’s ahead is better and will bring you more happiness but it’s not always the case. Try to live in the moment without comparing yourself to anyone else because no individual has lived the same life as you. Some have it easier some don’t, be proud of getting through your illness and carrying on with education. For now concentrate on the degree your doing aim for a high mark so you can pass with a 1st or 2.1.
I wish you the best for the future
I really appreciate this encouragement especially right now. That's acrually my plan to get a well paying corporate and in my mind that will make everything better and I will be happy there but maybe it isn't. How long have you been in your job and how has life been since you started it?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by lojawa)
Graduate schemes aren’t usually restricted by age, that wouldn’t tend to be lawful as it could be classed as age discrimination. An employer might request that you’ve graduated within X number of years of applying to the scheme but wouldn’t really specify an ideal age. 24 isn’t ‘old’ to be starting your career or applying to grad jobs, and you’d be surprised by the variation of people and age groups that apply for those jobs. I know this because I’ve asked graduate scheme recruiters, including EY, PWC & Deloitte, about whether they prefer young grads - the answer has always been that they have no preference, as long as you meet the application criteria. Bear in mind that Masters & PhD students will often also be applying for those jobs, who tend to be around your age and older.

The Civil Service Fast Scheme, for example, routinely recruits people who graduated decades ago because of the experience and maturity they bring. They also do a specific Economics scheme, which opens in a few weeks.

You also aren’t usually required to submit your age on an application, and it’s definitely not advisable to include it on your CV as recruiters don’t want to be accused of age discrimination. An interviewer probably won’t be able to tell that you’re 24 unless you tell them.
I'm hoping to get internships after already having interviews for this summer. Do you think they would prefer a 21/22 year old graduate over 23/24 without actually saying it?
lojawa
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm hoping to get internships after already having interviews for this summer. Do you think they would prefer a 21/22 year old graduate over 23/24 without actually saying it?
They aren't likely to even ask about your age. I can't tell you whether they would prefer a 21 year old grad, only a recruiter for the posting you apply for could tell you that, but I can't see why they wouldn't take you just because you're a few years older. If you meet the criteria, then apply - being a little older than 21 just means that you're a little more mature, it doesn't mean you have less to offer. I guarantee that you won't be the only person over 21 applying for work experience, internships, grad jobs, grad schemes or regular jobs. Everyone has to start somewhere and lots of people don't start and finish Uni at the ages of 18/21. I personally did work experience at Penguin publishing when I was 23, having graduated at 22 - they didn't even ask about my age and probably didn't care as long as I was delivering.

The worst thing that could happen is that you're turned down, for whatever reason. But how will you know what your chances are until you apply? If you really need justification to apply, contact the employers' recruitment centres to ask them specifically.
angel247
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That's the thing, I got 3A's so everybodys expectations were really high and now I've ended up in this position but it's what has made it harder for me to enjoy anything. I have not told anyone about my situation when they believe I will be graduating in 2 years as I started on an Msci but it will be 3 now. The indecision and doubting is what has really hampered me
Omg i feel you! we lived/ living the same life and everyone thinks I’m graduating next year oops
Confusedgoose
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If u don’t succeed in ur 20’s then try in ur 30’s, if you don’t in your 30’s then 40’s, then 50’s
You have ur whole life ahead of you. Being a year or 2 older than the other students doesn’t matter. Have fun and keep going
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.93%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.68%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.21%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (31)
8.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed