Traniee96
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I have recently come off the PGCE and I really need to get a few things off my chest…

I would like to hear if anyone else has experienced very rude and unprofessional CBMs (mentors).

Unfortunately for me both my mentors in my placements were absolutely horrible people, they would never want to help OR support me throughout my training. I was first placed in a Year 1 class where I adored the children and loved teaching them. However, the teacher was absolutely shockingly rude. She would always talk **** about the poor children in front of me which always made me feel so uncomfortable. She was never helpful and was always so competitive with me?

I somehow got though the placement and went into my second placement wholeheartedly. My word, I was placed within a Year 6 class - which I was very hesitant about. However, I actually loved teaching upper KS2. When I first met my mentor can you believe she did not greet me? She just looked at me and after a few minutes later said “oh I wasn’t expecting a student”.

I actually did not know how to respond to that so I didn’t say anything.

Let me tell you from the moment I met her I knew it was going to be a struggle for me to pass my final placement with a mentor like her. She would always say she’s “hard to impress”. She would never talk to me unless I did nor ask me whether I’m ok with anything. Don’t even get me started on how the observations went. Let’s just say it would hurt her to say the lesson went well.

I really do not understand why such horrible people who were once trainees themselves are they allowed be mentors? Most importantly HOW ARE THEY TEACHERS?!!!!!
Last edited by Traniee96; 8 months ago
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Traniee96)
I have recently come off the PGCE and I really need to get a few things off my chest…

I would like to hear if anyone else has experienced very rude and unprofessional CBMs (mentors).

Unfortunately for me both my mentors in my placements were absolutely horrible people, they would never want to help OR support me throughout my training. I was first placed in a Year 1 class where I adored the children and loved teaching them. However, the teacher was absolutely shockingly rude. She would always talk **** about the poor children in front of me which always made me feel so uncomfortable. She was never helpful and was always so competitive with me?

I somehow got though the placement and went into my second placement wholeheartedly. My word, I was placed within a Year 6 class - which I was very hesitant about. However, I actually loved teaching upper KS2. When I first met my mentor can you believe she did not greet me? She just looked at me and after a few minutes later said “oh I wasn’t expecting a student”.

I actually did not know how to respond to that so I didn’t say anything.

Let me tell you from the moment I met her I knew it was going to be a struggle for me to pass my final placement with a mentor like her. She would always say she’s “hard to impress”. She would never talk to me unless I did nor ask me whether I’m ok with anything. Don’t even get me started on how the observations went. Let’s just say it would hurt her to say the lesson went well.

I really do not understand why such horrible people who were once trainees themselves are they allowed be mentors? Most importantly HOW ARE THEY TEACHERS?!!!!!
Sorry to hear you had such an unpleasant experience with both mentors.

I think it's important to keep in mind that unfortunately, not all mentors are people that really wanted to take on that additional responsibility - often it's just sort of expected that people will do it if asked. It's also pretty typical for mentors to receive no extra PPA time to account for all the extra work they are taking on. The general stress of last year only exacerbated these issues and probably left a lot of mentors feeling extremely overburdened. Obviously, it's not fair to you as a trainee, and I do think it's unfortunate that we hear a lot of 'bad mentor' stories. I feel lucky to have had two good mentors myself, but I know lots of people in my cohort struggled!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (93)
20.09%
The paper was reasonable (177)
38.23%
Not feeling great about that exam... (119)
25.7%
It was TERRIBLE (74)
15.98%

Watched Threads