The Student Room Group

Need help with RAF Officer filter interview preparation

I'm applying for the RAF Officer Engineer Aerosystems role and my filter interview is later this month. I don't know which resources to use that are up to date, because there are sites that show sample questions and answers (on Youtube too) but the latest I have found is a 2018 video. I'm also struggling with the current affairs as I don't know which news site to use that is authentic and in detail. The Week and Economist are ones you have to pay for and are quite expensive. Any tips and advice? Thanks!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
TSR rules, and the fact of it being a job interview that requires you to show your initiative, means there can't be too much said as a response to you. However, there is plenty of information on here about what resources to use, and it's up to you where you research, and how you demonstrate your knowledge and justify your answers. If you aren't sure or can't find a piece of information, you say what you have found, and its source, or that you don't know.
Thanks surnia I’m new to the forums and I understand I can’t dive into the specifics. Would bbc be good enough and I tried to find up to date information on IOT by RAF adams in the armed forces forums but can’t find it. Any idea where I may find this?
Reply 3
Original post by engineering224
Thanks surnia I’m new to the forums and I understand I can’t dive into the specifics. Would bbc be good enough and I tried to find up to date information on IOT by RAF adams in the armed forces forums but can’t find it. Any idea where I may find this?

Always go to official sources first, and if that doesn't have the information then you can legitimately say you couldn't find it.

Current Affairs is entirely up to you as to how you research them.
Go to the RAF page on reddit as a lot of very useful info is pinned on that page regarding officer applications and MIOTC.
BBC news is a really good site. Sometimes has really good analysis articles as well. You will want 3 international current affairs topics and 3 domestic topics to learn. That way you will be well covered for that section of the interview. You can accept anything on BBC at face value to learn for your topics because it is *meant* to be impartial.

If you cannot find anything to do with the training online for RAF then contact your local AFCO and they should be able to provide you with the information.

Tip for the interview - the more you know the less you get asked. So prep as much as you can and if you don't get tested on a lot of it then you've done a good job.
Reply 6
How did your interview go? I've got mine soon and also wondering this!
Sorry for the late reply. Thank you all for the help. Update: I did pass my interview
Original post by eml5
How did your interview go? I've got mine soon and also wondering this!

It went well there’s definitely things I could have improved on. For current affairs I’d recommend the economist and the week it will be worth subscribing to the economist. I wouldn’t worry too much about the filter interview you should treat it more like a conversation as the officers there were very friendly (but do prepare as much as you can it’ll be worth it). The whole purpose is to “filter out” unsuitable candidates applying to become officers. If you have any questions feel free to pm me!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by engineering224
It went well there’s definitely things I could have improved on. For current affairs I’d recommend the economist and the week it will be worth subscribing to the economist. I wouldn’t worry too much about the filter interview you should treat it more like a conversation as the officers there were very friendly (but do prepare as much as you can it’ll be worth it). The whole purpose is to “filter out” unsuitable candidates applying to become officers. If you have any questions feel free to pm me!

https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/articles/ hi would this be considered international current affairs? and do i just pick 3 topics from here?
Reply 10
Original post by catramee
https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/articles/ hi would this be considered international current affairs? and do i just pick 3 topics from here?

Don't get over-focussed on military news to the exclusion of all others. Try sites like newsnow.co.uk or ground.news and drill down into the different areas (you can do it deographically, or by topic) to find something which catches your interest. You want topics you can have an opinion on, not just recite the facts.
Reply 11
Original post by Okanagan
Don't get over-focussed on military news to the exclusion of all others. Try sites like newsnow.co.uk or ground.news and drill down into the different areas (you can do it deographically, or by topic) to find something which catches your interest. You want topics you can have an opinion on, not just recite the facts.

thank you, however, i read on the raf website about the selection interview and it does not state anywhere that international and current affairs will be asked about. has there been a change or im just missing something?
Reply 12
thank you, however, i read on the raf website about the selection interview and it does not state anywhere that international and current affairs will be asked about. has there been a change or im just missing something?

Have you had your P2 presentation? That should have explained to you everything you will need to know for the Filter Interview. A search of the RAF subreddit, or simply google, should produce all of the information you are looking for.
Reply 13

There is some out of date information floating about. Current affairs used to be a big thing in the filter interview when it was in person. Now it's moved to the online SHINE format where you just record your answers and have a specified amount of time for each question you will just get asked something about a current affairs issue and how you'd like to see it pan out, rather than asked for a selection of stories.

The more interactive current affairs part is now in the OASC interview (which is longer than it used to be to accomodate it).

Quick Reply

Latest