Intereasting Times: a 1st Year Maths GYG

Watch
Interea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello! :wavey:Apologies for the awful attempt at a title, turns out using a random Latin word as your username isn’t great for puns…

I’m Interea, and I’m about to embark on my second attempt at starting university :eek: I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t terrified, but it’s been a long process to get to this point, so I’m determined to make the most of it.

I’m going to be studying maths at Warwick university :dance:

About me:
Spoiler:
Show
I’m 20 years old, and I guess it goes without saying that I love maths I also really enjoy learning languages and helping people, so I’ll be keeping an eye out for opportunities for both of these at uni. I’ve been out of education since January 2020, and have spent the time volunteering as a tutor and playing around with some new languages (I think the list is up to 6 or 7 now, half of which are beginner – I need to actually commit to one for once!). I also play the ukulele and do archery, which I think tells you all you need to know about what I was like as a 13 year old :lol:

Academic info:
Spoiler:
Show
A levels: A*s in maths, further maths, chemistry, and Latin
GCSEs: 9 A*s, an 8 and a 7
STEP: 2, 2

The previous attempt...
Spoiler:
Show
I’m only including this for context, and hopefully won’t be bringing it up too much again. I dropped out right before the pandemic, so I’ve had a year and a half with nothing better to do than dwell on it, and I’d like to move on now

I previously started studying maths elsewhere in 2019, but due to some mental health issues I ended up having to leave after a term. I could have gone back or gone through clearing to start uni again in 2020, but realistically I hadn’t recovered enough until about March of this year, so I’m glad I took the extra time out.

I move in on the 23rd, which is equal parts exciting and scary, but at least it gives me a decent amount of time to prepare!

Modules:
Spoiler:
Show
I'll come back and add optional modules to this once I've chosen them (and probably edit some stuff I've got wrong), but the core modules are:

Pre-university:
MA1K2 Refresher Mathematics 0 CATS

Term 1:
MA133 Differential Equations 12 CATS
MA131 Analysis I and II 24 CATS (continues into Term 2)
MA132 Foundations 12 CATS
MA136 Introduction to Abstract Algebra 6 CATS

Term 2:
MA106 Linear Algebra 12 CATS
MA124 Maths by Computer 6 CATS
MA134 Geometry and Motion 12 CATS
ST111 Probability A 6 CATS

Goals for the year:
- Pass the year (I know I’ll want to do better than just pass, but I’m trying to remember that just finishing the year will be an achievement for me)
- Keep on top of work, instead of reverting to my old habits of procrastination
- Get back into archery, and just generally improve my fitness
- Get involved in societies!
- Make some real progress in French and Japanese
- Not starve

Updates:
Last edited by Interea; 3 days ago
Interea
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Update 1: Rocky beginnings

Things haven't got off to the best start - I've had several finance related issues which took a lot of stress and time to resolve (well, they're not all done yet), and to top it all off my laptop broke :cry: Really not what you need right before a year of blended learning! I sent it off to be fixed at the start of last week, but I've got no idea when I'll get it back.

On a brighter note, our pre-uni module was released last Monday, so I've got something to keep me busy, and my dad has come to the rescue with an old laptop for that. It's not the best (it's overheating and burning my hands as I type :headfire:), but it's better than nothing!

This module is quite overwhelming, but it's because there is so much useful information on the pages, both about revising maths and also just how different uni systems (especially Moodle) work. The only thing I wish is that they'd released it earlier: we have until early October to complete it, but those 3 and a half weeks include all my packing, Welcome Week, and a 2 week autistic students transition program (which looks very useful, but it will certainly take a lot of my time). There are 16 chapters, 2 tests and 1 exam to do, so I'm definitely going to be using all of my (limited) free time on this before I go.

I'm also not liking the fact that you have to self-declare for extra time, since I really don't know if I'm allowed it or not I didn't have it at school, then had it at my old uni, then didn't have it for STEP, so I'm just confused. I think I'll go without until I can ask for confirmation either way, which is going to make things difficult, but I'd rather do that than take it and then later be told that I shouldn't have.

Overall though, I'm doing okay so far! I read all the information last Monday, and then did 1 or 2 chapters each day over the first week, so I was meeting my goal for the year of keeping on top of work instead of leaving it until the last minute. I did just lose 4 days being absolutely wiped out by my second vaccine, but I'm able to sit upright today so it's time to get back on track! We'll see how long this motivation lasts :lol:
Auntie_Autie2019
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hi Interea. Sorry to hear about your laptop. Temperamental stuff is technology. I hope it gets fixed ok and you have it back soon. I'm lucky in a way that I'm married to a computer fanatic despite him not understanding why it only takes for me to look at something and it breaks. 😂

I am also autistic and had a transition day last week. I'm a mature student so will commute from home. Are you moving far away yourself? I have just started my first blog (today) and looking forward to sharing my experiences and seeing how others here get on too.

Good luck with all the packing and prep.
Interea
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by Auntie_Autie2019)
Hi Interea. Sorry to hear about your laptop. Temperamental stuff is technology. I hope it gets fixed ok and you have it back soon. I'm lucky in a way that I'm married to a computer fanatic despite him not understanding why it only takes for me to look at something and it breaks. 😂

I am also autistic and had a transition day last week. I'm a mature student so will commute from home. Are you moving far away yourself? I have just started my first blog (today) and looking forward to sharing my experiences and seeing how others here get on too.

Good luck with all the packing and prep.
It's looking to be at least a month until I get the laptop back, but I'm honestly just glad they can fix it at all, I'm way too attached to that machine :lol:

I'll have to check out your blog! This transition program is really good and full of useful information, but they do tend to talk as though everyone is coming straight from sixth form, so it's nice to see someone else not on that route My uni is only about an hour away from home, so I've got a good safety net if something goes wrong - here's to hoping I don't need it!

Good luck with all your prep too
Auntie_Autie2019
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Interea)
It's looking to be at least a month until I get the laptop back, but I'm honestly just glad they can fix it at all, I'm way too attached to that machine :lol:

I'll have to check out your blog! This transition program is really good and full of useful information, but they do tend to talk as though everyone is coming straight from sixth form, so it's nice to see someone else not on that route My uni is only about an hour away from home, so I've got a good safety net if something goes wrong - here's to hoping I don't need it!

Good luck with all your prep too
Ah yes it can be tough when spoken to like a child still. If you ever want any advice or another point of view, feel free to ask. I can't promise I'll be of any help but I'll try.

A month sounds like a long time to be without your laptop. Fingers crossed it's bit quicker than that.

An hour isn't too bad at all. Hopefully you will settle in ok and all the transition activities help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads