Fashion design degree with no a level in fashion

Watch this thread
rebecca_wd
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi! I have never done textiles/ fashion design at gcse or a level but I got an A* at a level in fine art, I feel like a creative person. I am really interested in doing a fashion design degree at uni next September but would this be possible for me with the little experience I have? Surely they teach you the foundations and essentials at the start of the course? Surely there would be other people like me with little experience right?
19EightyEight
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
I'm very limited advice wise but I can say, I didn't have a creative A-level or GCSE and managed to get onto a level 3 extended diploma as an Adult learner at the local college doing Graphic design, 2 years and now I'm starting a foundation degree, Honestly the very best people to speak to are advisors at a local uni of your choice and see what entry requirements you need, If you don't quite meet the entry requirements but you have relative experience it can be taken into consideration.
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by rebecca_wd)
Hi! I have never done textiles/ fashion design at gcse or a level but I got an A* at a level in fine art, I feel like a creative person. I am really interested in doing a fashion design degree at uni next September but would this be possible for me with the little experience I have? Surely they teach you the foundations and essentials at the start of the course? Surely there would be other people like me with little experience right?
Hi there! Sorry for the delayed response, but as a current fashion design student I can definitely help with this question! A level art is a great subject to have studied and there are actually several people currently on my course who came straight to university for fashion design without any sewing experience, and just having done art. In first year it is all about getting everyone to the same level of understanding regardless of the previous experience that they may or may not have, so there is no need to worry about being behind others.
There is a lot of focus on increasing everybody's technical sewing skills, alongside the creative side and creating sketchbooks so you will definitely quickly learn the basics needed! There is also plenty of drawing and mixed media art involved which may be up your street if you have already studied fine art
If you are worried however, there is always the option of a Foundation course after A levels which is a year to study all different sectors of the arts and find out what you like best, as well as learn new skills in different areas to what you have previously studied.
Have you decided to pursue fashion design at university?
Anna- 2nd year fashion design student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.5%
The paper was reasonable (132)
36.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (105)
29.25%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise