jaz1234567891011
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi I am soon picking my gcse options but I have heard a lot of stuff like you get 3 months to do the exam but then I also hear stuff like it takes up all your revision time- I love art but I can’t do my best work when im at home because I work best with a simple plan with instructions on how to do the art please can people tell me what’s true and what are rumours and give me some more info on what to expect and how to prepare ( I am learning how to use oil paints-any tips???)
ElonMuskFan123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Everyone says they regret taking art, but you will never find out unless you take it.
I took art, and I noticed the only way you can enjoy it is if you are really good and have the validation of the class.
jaz1234567891011
Rep:
?
(Original post by ElonMuskFan123)
Everyone says they regret taking art, but you will never find out unless you take it.
I took art, and I noticed the only way you can enjoy it is if you are really good and have the validation of the class.
Thank you this really helps I think I needed a push to chose it and I am scared that if I don’t take it I will never know what I would’ve got
tcaoll
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jaz1234567891011)
Hi I am soon picking my gcse options but I have heard a lot of stuff like you get 3 months to do the exam but then I also hear stuff like it takes up all your revision time- I love art but I can’t do my best work when im at home because I work best with a simple plan with instructions on how to do the art please can people tell me what’s true and what are rumours and give me some more info on what to expect and how to prepare ( I am learning how to use oil paints-any tips???)
firstly, going from year eight to gcses is hard with any subject, but with art since it can be time consuming it might feel like a shock, but honestly, a month into it its fine. i cant explain when your doing the work, which may be time consuming, you just kind of get on with it and then go onto the next piece like you just take each bit of work as it comes (which is true for most gcses but especially art, as it takes up no brain power so youre just sitting there doing it). also alot of it is over exaggerated, it is definately less work than everyone says.
secondly - with art theres no instructions because its your own work and you do what you want to do. the best advice i can give you is stay on top of the work!! i have adhd so i always procrastinated and never did it at the beginning, and that set me back ALOT. if you do your best on each piece, there is no stress - which sounds cliche but honestly if i realised that at the beginning and focused on adding in all the details i saw, tones etc. (which i didn't do cos i couldnt be bothered) i would have never been behind - so basically dont take shortcuts on your pieces if you cant be bothered, or it will take less time etc. hope this helps. good luck
jaz1234567891011
Rep:
?
(Original post by tcaoll)
firstly, going from year eight to gcses is hard with any subject, but with art since it can be time consuming it might feel like a shock, but honestly, a month into it its fine. i cant explain when your doing the work, which may be time consuming, you just kind of get on with it and then go onto the next piece like you just take each bit of work as it comes (which is true for most gcses but especially art, as it takes up no brain power so youre just sitting there doing it). also alot of it is over exaggerated, it is definately less work than everyone says.
secondly - with art theres no instructions because its your own work and you do what you want to do. the best advice i can give you is stay on top of the work!! i have adhd so i always procrastinated and never did it at the beginning, and that set me back ALOT. if you do your best on each piece, there is no stress - which sounds cliche but honestly if i realised that at the beginning and focused on adding in all the details i saw, tones etc. (which i didn't do cos i couldnt be bothered) i would have never been behind - so basically dont take shortcuts on your pieces if you cant be bothered, or it will take less time etc. hope this helps. good luck
Thanks that’s my worry (that I will get behind) as after a little while of doing something I get so bored that I can’t concentrate anymore
sunsetsting
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jaz1234567891011)
Would not recommend, my friend took art and it takes up all of your time. It is hard and has loads of coursework. Unless you are super good at time management it will be overwhelming. Also in terms of simple instructions, a lot is left to you. You get a theme (the theme for my schools current rotation is metamorphosis) and you will need to find artists to study and take the pictures and decide what you will do and what you will use and how you will do it. Teachers will always offer help with a certain technique if you are struggling but most of the lesson is people working alone on their own projects. Obviously at the start of year 10 you will get taught techniques and do some samples but after that its down to you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.53%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (35)
14.64%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (42)
17.57%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.23%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.36%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.67%

Watched Threads