Government planning October lockdown

Watch
mondays child
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm not sure about yoga but things such as washing hands properly, hand over mouth when coughing and other basic hygiene measures should be normalised. Many jobs can work from home at least part of the week and this should continue, not having people come back into the office full time because of a David Brent style boss.
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mondays child)
I'm not sure about yoga but things such as washing hands properly, hand over mouth when coughing and other basic hygiene measures should be normalised. Many jobs can work from home at least part of the week and this should continue, not having people come back into the office full time because of a David Brent style boss.
Yep... Though it's quite shocking to see so many people STILL ignoring basic things like hand washing after going to the toilet.

(Original post by Chadmiral Nelson)
I don't see why people's irrational paranoia should be respected, let alone pandered to. The simple fact is, an unmasked person is of no significantly greater threat to you than a masked person because mask wearing in general doesn't make a whole heap of difference in the grand scheme of things. Yes they slightly slow the rate of spread (key word there being 'slow', not 'stop') but they are in no way shape or form a magic bullet against infection and they probably won't stop you or anybody else getting infected at some point down the line. And with the overwhelming majority of the most clinically vulnerable people vaccinated and indeed about to receive booster shots, I see no reason why widespread mask usage should continue.
Agreed. I do believe there is a lesson to be learned though, that is to say that you should avoid spreading any illnesses you have. Be it something as simple as a cold or something as serious as HIV and schools and employers should be a lot less pushy about making people come in because they've only got X because people react differently to the same virus. The flu for example, some people get it and go on with it. Personally? I end up a mess, my left eye becomes a waterfall (odly specific, but yes, just my left eye. No idea why), my brain turns to mush. Some people get completely floored by it and can't do anything.

This pandemic does appear to have created a large contingency of people who seemingly never want to be sick or exposed to any germs ever again, and are quite willing to see our society and culture turned on it's head to achieve it. Well I'm sorry, but that's just tough ****, sickness and germs are an unavoidable fact of life, and a necessary one at that. You build a strong immune system through exposure to these things. Constantly shying away from germs and attempting to live as sterile a life as possible in an attempt to stay 'healthy', is on the one hand no way to live your life, but two, it's not even healthy. Eventually something will break through your futile defences, your immune system will not be prepared for it and you're going to get sicker than you otherwise would have been. Anecdotally, out everybody I know, the ones who invariably tend to get sick with colds and flus the most (multiple times a year), are the germophobic, clean freak types.
You do have to admit though, you can't blame them. It's been a nice time not getting ill, well, besides the cough some lad at work spread about the other week. But besides that? I've not missed the flu one bit 😄 Though I'm dreading its return to my system... Can't wait for the second-worst bout of flu in my life... Second only to the great illness of Christmas 2019 which may or may not have been Covid rather than the flu
Last edited by TheMcSame; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (171)
55.7%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (44)
14.33%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (34)
11.07%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (27)
8.79%
I haven't started researching yet (17)
5.54%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
4.56%

Watched Threads