A-Level Subject Choices

Watch this thread
Anthony..
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I'd like to take Biology and Chemistry. What should I choose for my other 2 subjects? Which are the most useful/versatile? Which are The ones that open the most doors in terms of university and career choices and whatnot
thealphabetsays
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Anthony..)
I'd like to take Biology and Chemistry. What should I choose for my other 2 subjects? Which are the most useful/versatile? Which are The ones that open the most doors in terms of university and career choices and whatnot
Maths is always useful! And then you could take FM but if you aren't 100% set on maths in the first place then probably don't take FM. Would you consider a MFL? They are super useful as a life skill, but if you haven't enjoyed GCSE English then you may not enjoy a MFL A Level.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Firstly you only need 3 A levels. As you are taking Chem and Biol this will cover most life sciences courses. Maths will open up most subjects as it is often the required subject in Physics, Engineering and Economics. Other than that take any subject that you will enjoy and do well in.
Anthony..
Rep:
(Original post by thealphabetsays)
Maths is always useful! And then you could take FM but if you aren't 100% set on maths in the first place then probably don't take FM. Would you consider a MFL? They are super useful as a life skill, but if you haven't enjoyed GCSE English then you may not enjoy a MFL A Level.
What is a Maths A Level used for in life? I can see why a language is useful but why would I need a language A Level? I don't feel so good about taking up one of my subject slots with an MFL that I can always learn another time. Does English A Level open many doors?
Anthony..
Rep:
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Firstly you only need 3 A levels. As you are taking Chem and Biol this will cover most life sciences courses. Maths will open up most subjects as it is often the required subject in Physics, Engineering and Economics. Other than that take any subject that you will enjoy and do well in.
One of the colleges im interested in offers either 3 and an EPQ, 4, or 4 and an EPQ. I believe I can drop the 4th after the first year, but I'd rather not unless it's really too much work. I study 7 GCSE subjects so 4 A levels doesnt sound like a lot. Is it really that much?
Last edited by Anthony..; 8 months ago
Jonathanツ
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
I see a lot of people recommending maths which I definitely agree with but if you don't really like maths or have never done particularly well at it, then I have heard most people with that mindset end up dropping it... simply due to how hard the subject is. Just thought it was worth mentioning.
Cupcakes12
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
maths is excellent but quite alot of work

what GCSEs do you take and enjoy? for example I know alot of people doing bio, chem and history or geography

if you only do 7 GCSEs then 4 A levels is alot. I did 10 GCSEs and I find 4 A levels hard work and it takes up so much of my free time

an EPQ is something very worth doing if there's a particular subject area you think you could write alot about as well so it's worth considering
swanseajack1
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
What is a Maths A Level used for in life? I can see why a language is useful but why would I need a language A Level? I don't feel so good about taking up one of my subject slots with an MFL that I can always learn another time. Does English A Level open many doors?
The Russell Group have an informed choices booklet you can use. Maths is they key subject required for many STEM course. You will be restricted in your choices for Mathematical courses without it. Economics, Computer Science and Engineering require it for nearly all leading universities as the courses have lots of Maths included. Maths is used in practically everything for counting money to getting astronauts on the moon. It is used extensively in things like Finance, Economics and Programming. If you arent interested in this things dont take it but it is the subject which opens most doors. It is likely you will use Maths in some form in Chemistry as well.

http://www.informedchoices.ac.uk/
Anthony..
Rep:
The Russell Group have an informed choices booklet you can use. Maths is they key subject required for many STEM course. You will be restricted in your choices for Mathematical courses without it. Economics, Computer Science and Engineering require it for nearly all leading universities as the courses have lots of Maths included. Maths is used in practically everything for counting money to getting astronauts on the moon. It is used extensively in things like Finance, Economics and Programming. If you arent interested in this things dont take it but it is the subject which opens most doors. It is likely you will use Maths in some form in Chemistry as well.

http://www.informedchoices.ac.uk/
So Maths sounds like a good 3rd choice. Is further maths any good?
swanseajack1
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
So Maths sounds like a good 3rd choice. Is further maths any good?
Generally only if you wish to study Maths at university. A couple of universities like Cambridge, LSE and Imperial require it for things like Economics, Engineering and Computer Science but mostly outside of Maths it will not be of any use and wont widen your choice in the way Maths does.
Anthony..
Rep:
Generally only if you wish to study Maths at university. A couple of universities like Cambridge, LSE and Imperial require it for things like Economics, Engineering and Computer Science but mostly outside of Maths it will not be of any use and wont widen your choice in the way Maths does.
I see. Thanks a lot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads