The Student Room Group

Access to health science

Hello .I m starting College on access to health science( Paramedic) nxt week .
I m 44 and have worked in care from the age of 18 its always been my dream to become a paramedic, I left school with nothing only qualifications I have now is NVQ level 2 health and social and a level 2 in English then the normal stuff u do in care .
I ve quit my job as don t think I could manage both but I m terrified feel sick and keep crying stressing I m just not brainy enough and that I ll fail and end up looking like a fool !!
I just think I m to old now and kidding myself that I ll ever be able to pass a Access course never mind Uni !! Is it normal to feel like this and be absolutely **** scared of failure? I just want it so badly 😢
Reply 1
It is understandable to worry and be scared of failure. Access courses are designed for people who have been out of education so you are not too old. You should be able to focus and give it the time it needs as you have given up your job. My advice is that you get as much support as possible from your college and tutors and other students and on here. Take it step by step.
There is a Facebook Access to HE group I noticed. You could join it and get advice and support from people going though the same experience.
Also, if you look at the entry criteria for university, you may not need so many distinctions, depending on your choices, which reduces the pressure a bit. Even if you don't get the exact required number of distinctions, they may possibly still take you because of how you interview and because of your life experience. You will be fine but try not to worry as it won't help. Make sure you understand the assignment assessment criteria and have access to the resources you need and work hard and do your best.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Angepat21
Hello .I m starting College on access to health science( Paramedic) nxt week .
I m 44 and have worked in care from the age of 18 its always been my dream to become a paramedic, I left school with nothing only qualifications I have now is NVQ level 2 health and social and a level 2 in English then the normal stuff u do in care .
I ve quit my job as don t think I could manage both but I m terrified feel sick and keep crying stressing I m just not brainy enough and that I ll fail and end up looking like a fool !!
I just think I m to old now and kidding myself that I ll ever be able to pass a Access course never mind Uni !! Is it normal to feel like this and be absolutely **** scared of failure? I just want it so badly 😢

@Angepat21
Hello

I've taught on an Access to HE program for nearly 10 years and I can tell you that these are typical feelings that Access students have. I always say to my students that studying again is a bit like a new pair of shoes, it might pinch a bit at first but when you get going you are fine.

Access is a very diverse program, I've had learners from all sorts of backgrounds, the oldest in his late 50's. The best thing to do is to engage with the student support from your provider. They will help with academic matters like essay writing and referencing etc

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest