The Student Room Group

French notes

Doing AQA French for GCSEs. I have revision sorted but one of the problems I find would be doing notes, as in how I would do them?

I know French is based around vocabulary and as such, I feel I would end up just copying French vocab down and that's it.

If anyone's done French for GCSE and done notes, could you let me know how you would do them?
Honestly vocabulary is probably okay to just have in like a Quizlet or something similar, though you may want to still write them in a book next to the topic just for if you're revising that topic specifically. A lot of your main notes will probably focus on grammar and culture, though I'd advise you to keep those two separate (it doesn't make much difference, I just found it slightly easier), with exceptions for clarifying things you see in specific passages, eg. parsing a particularly complex sentence
it's been a few years since I did GCSEs but while I found notes really helpful for content-heavy subjects like science, I made hardly any notes for french. It's more skills based, so you should practice grammar exercises, learning vocab through something like quizlet, doing past paper questions, listening to/reading any french you can get your hands on and just generally speaking french to yourself. Making notes on grammar rules etc you find difficult might be beneficial, but I'd mainly say focus on skills based things as there isn't a lot of content in the same way there is for other subjects. Hope that helps :smile: I got a 9 in gcse french and am now doing it at uni so if you have any questions let me know!
Original post by bluemoon03
it's been a few years since I did GCSEs but while I found notes really helpful for content-heavy subjects like science, I made hardly any notes for french. It's more skills based, so you should practice grammar exercises, learning vocab through something like quizlet, doing past paper questions, listening to/reading any french you can get your hands on and just generally speaking french to yourself. Making notes on grammar rules etc you find difficult might be beneficial, but I'd mainly say focus on skills based things as there isn't a lot of content in the same way there is for other subjects. Hope that helps :smile: I got a 9 in gcse french and am now doing it at uni so if you have any questions let me know!

Thanks for the info!! Quite Impressed that you got a 9 in your GCSE French. Getting an 8 or 9 In my GCSEs is actually one of my goals for my GCSEs
For vocab you can just do this course https://app.memrise.com/course/1137583/aqa-new-gcse-french-from-2016/ and that'll be fine.
In terms of notes, you could take grammar notes, but in all honesty practice is what you really need. If you can, buy or borrow a CGP AQA French revision guide and workbook and do the questions in the workbook, then mark them, and maybe make notes for grammar topics which you find are weak having done the questions, and then do more questions on those topics. As well as that you should do listening practice using youtube.

(I'm a uni languages student and these are still things I'd do)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by nathan1el_study
Thanks for the info!! Quite Impressed that you got a 9 in your GCSE French. Getting an 8 or 9 In my GCSEs is actually one of my goals for my GCSEs

good luck with GCSEs! It's very possible to get a 9 in languages if you put the work in consistently and work on your weaker areas so you keep improving:smile:
I love languages and good luck. You can do it. Definitely check out CGP books they are excellent quality.
well done on ur nine
im aiming for one too in French this year im currently on an 8 and I think ill be able to get a9 as I didn't revise for my mocks
ive got my speaking gcse next Thursday
what advice would u say helped u in ur exam and the other 3 French exams?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending