Latin OCR GCSE 2022 Advice/Help needed!

Watch this thread
student_anon12
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I'm going to do my GCSEs this academic year (just started year 11) and I'm taking Latin OCR (I'm learning it by myself). I'm fairly confident with the language paper (confident with vocab and grammar etc) but I'm worried about the set texts. I haven't learnt any set texts yet and I'm not really sure how to start. Is one year enough to get a 9 grade in my position? How do I learn the set texts? Any tips for learning Latin in general? Do you think there will be any changes to the exam?

Thanks.
Eve_Catt
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
i would definitely reccomend using a website like Quizlet or flash cards for learning the language, for the set texts, i would revise the same way you do english literature. I did the prose literature and found it easier to learn a few quotes and the general gist of the poetry rather than the whole thing but honestly just do whatever works best for you!! Good luck!!
Mulefa
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Hello! I'm doing OCR Greek GCSE (but the format is exactly the same as Latin). I think you'll be able to cover both sets in plenty of time (and I'd start with the prose, if I were you). I'd go through and highlight any interesting parts of the Latin (alliteration, hyperboles) - make sure you have a look at this youtube channel which has a guide to most of the set texts and also information about some of the different question types. I think you do need to learn the complete English translation for the set texts off by heart, though (try using flashcards, or repeating them aloud, or recording audios of you reading the set texts and listen to them all the time) - there are several easy comprehension questions in the paper and a 5-mark translation question so if you know the translation those will be easy.

For the language paper, Quizlet/Memrise is great. Also (especially if you want a 9), focus on learning: irregular principal parts and different meanings for certain words (e.g. capere means "take, catch, capture" but can also mean "make (a plan)" - they love throwing those into the exam and seeing who knows them! Not sure about any changes at the moment, will just have to wait and see!
student_anon12
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Eve_Catt)
i would definitely reccomend using a website like Quizlet or flash cards for learning the language, for the set texts, i would revise the same way you do english literature. I did the prose literature and found it easier to learn a few quotes and the general gist of the poetry rather than the whole thing but honestly just do whatever works best for you!! Good luck!!
(Original post by Mulefa)
Hello! I'm doing OCR Greek GCSE (but the format is exactly the same as Latin). I think you'll be able to cover both sets in plenty of time (and I'd start with the prose, if I were you). I'd go through and highlight any interesting parts of the Latin (alliteration, hyperboles) - make sure you have a look at this youtube channel which has a guide to most of the set texts and also information about some of the different question types. I think you do need to learn the complete English translation for the set texts off by heart, though (try using flashcards, or repeating them aloud, or recording audios of you reading the set texts and listen to them all the time) - there are several easy comprehension questions in the paper and a 5-mark translation question so if you know the translation those will be easy.

For the language paper, Quizlet/Memrise is great. Also (especially if you want a 9), focus on learning: irregular principal parts and different meanings for certain words (e.g. capere means "take, catch, capture" but can also mean "make (a plan)" - they love throwing those into the exam and seeing who knows them! Not sure about any changes at the moment, will just have to wait and see!
Thank you guys so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (42)
15.67%
The paper was reasonable (134)
50%
Not feeling great about that exam... (68)
25.37%
It was TERRIBLE (24)
8.96%

Watched Threads