The Student Room Group

Why do guys lie about their height

This is the 3rd time now, meeting someone for a date that claimed they were 6'2 but turns out to be 5'9. It's frustrating because i give then 100% my unfiltered self, but can't do the same. It's saddening because we develop this emotional bond but boom all gone. It's funny because they think i can't tell, when i have been dating tall guys.

Scroll to see replies

Now, I just thought about this for 5 seconds but I may be wrong, it may be because they don't think any woman would give them the time of day if they were honest about being below 6ft.
They're not thinking about the long-term, I guess. They want to get their foot in the door and continue to talk to girls and they're worried girls won't talk to them if they know they're 5' 9". They're just sabotaging themselves in the end.
Reply 3
Original post by StunCounty2
Now, I just thought about this for 5 seconds but I may be wrong, it may be because they don't think any woman would give them the time of day if they were honest about being below 6ft.

Yeah, but why lie if a girl state's their type is x and then show up looking like y. Do they think my type is suddenly going to change?
Original post by Anonymous
This is the 3rd time now, meeting someone for a date that claimed they were 6'2 but turns out to be 5'9. It's frustrating because i give then 100% my unfiltered self, but can't do the same. It's saddening because we develop this emotional bond but boom all gone. It's funny because they think i can't tell, when i have been dating tall guys.

Ye that’s weird, I cannot stand dishonesty. Why lie about something like that? I know he may be insecure, but there’s no need to lie.
Men receive a lot of scrutiny regarding their height, with women sometimes not even giving them the time of day if they don't meet a minimum requirement on paper. This leads to some men feeling as if they have to lie to be given a chance.

I list my height first on apps so girls know I'm short. :lol:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by 1582
Men receive a lot of scrutiny regarding their height, with women sometimes not even giving them time of the day if they don't meet a minimum requirement on paper. This leads to some men feeling as if they have to lie to be given a chance.

I list my height first on apps so girls know I'm short. :lol:

Yeah, but why lie if a girl state's their type is x and then show up looking like y. Do they think my type is suddenly going to change?
As a guy my height is my biggest insecurity and hearing girls say they want a 6ft guy doesn't help with that

Maybe they thought you'd stop being silly about height when you realised that you can still get on with a man who's not 6ft whatever?
Best case - Severe insecurity, worst case - deceptive "player" types, dunno much else about said person so I don't wanna hand out a judgement but the truth prolly lies somewhere in between that spectrum

What if they meet all your other standards apart from height? It's not something we have control over.
Original post by hungrysalamander
What if they meet all your other standards apart from height? It's not something we have control over.

yeah, but i can't control what i'm attracted to

so you don't put makeup on?
Original post by the_pharaoh
so you don't put makeup on?

I can't because it irritates my skin

So you're saying that you will only be attracted to 14.5% of the male population? What do you bring to the table to be able to narrow your options down by this much?
I can't because it irritates my skin

well anyways saying why do "guys" lie about your height when you've only met 3 who lied about their height doesnt make sense cuz Im sure those 3 arent representitive of the whole male population

Well they can't control lying about their height :tongue:
Original post by hungrysalamander
So you're saying that you will only be attracted to 14.5% of the male population? What do you bring to the table to be able to narrow your options down by this much?

I mean it's their personal preference, they don't really need to have a justification for it. They don't really owe attraction to anyone so I don't really see why they need to bring things to the table to not feel attraction towards someone

They would hope that the difference of a couple of inches is not going to be a dealbreaker once you've gotten to know each other. To give an equivalent of this for women, many girls on dating apps describe their body type as "a couple of extra pounds" then turn out to be noticeably heavier than described. I've been on a number of dates where this was the case and still found them attractive, even if I was initially surprised because it was unexpected.

In an ideal world no one would be dishonest about these things. But everyone has their insecurities and on dating apps people are really quite harsh, so it's no wonder people try to make themselves sound more appealing.
(edited 2 years ago)
Some guys are worried that most single girls online will only want to date much taller guys or have height dealbreakers that will immediately rule them out.
While others are very insecure about their height, habitual liars or genuinely don't know their height so just guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending