The Student Room Group

Nottingham, York of Exeter? Investment banking

Which one is the best for investment banking?

Since I don't do A-level Maths, I'm aiming for a FAM degree at Nottingham or Accounting and Finance at either York or Exeter.

I know that Nottingham and Exeter are also pretty good for management consultancy (MBB) so I'm leaning towards these two. I like the course modules, teaching style and the overall atmosphere of all the universities however, I'm trying to be strategic and pick the best firm choice for the IB front office roles.

Thank you :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
for ib
notts > exeter > york
Original post by anyIBers
for ib
notts > exeter > york

Thank you! Have a wonderful day :smile:
Original post by Aspstudent

Since I don't do A-level Maths, I'm aiming for a FAM degree at Nottingham or Accounting and Finance at either York or Exeter.

I know that Nottingham and Exeter are also pretty good for management consultancy (MBB) so I'm leaning towards these two. I like the course modules, teaching style and the overall atmosphere of all the universities however, I'm trying to be strategic and pick the best firm choice for the IB front office roles.

Exeter is a better place to study ...
nottingham > exeter > york. But if you go to any of them and work hard you'll be fine.
For IB you need to be on top of your game, in first year be aiming for a first and try and get as many internships as possible throughout your 3 years.
Do not think that if you go york you have a significantly less chance of getting into banking, its not true. Get that first and internships and go from there!
Good luck
Original post by SuttonOG
nottingham > exeter > york. But if you go to any of them and work hard you'll be fine.
For IB you need to be on top of your game, in first year be aiming for a first and try and get as many internships as possible throughout your 3 years.
Do not think that if you go york you have a significantly less chance of getting into banking, its not true. Get that first and internships and go from there!
Good luck

I forgot to mention that I am planning on applying for the placement year version of these courses. Would it be worth it to include the placement year for IB or is it a waste of time? I know that Goldman Sachs do placements.
I forgot to mention that I am planning on applying for the placement year version of these courses. Would it be worth it to include the placement year for IB or is it a waste of time? I know that Goldman Sachs do placements.

I would - you'll make contacts and possibly get a job offer.
Original post by Muttley79
I would - you'll make contacts and possibly get a job offer.

Thank you. :smile:

As others have said, for IB: Notts > Exeter > York. Worth noting that Nottingham's economics degrees appear a lot more targeted than their business school subjects like management, accounting and finance.

One thing that you might want to rethink is your view on management consulting. Firstly you said "management consulting (MBB)", yet MBB firms are strategy consulting firms rather than management consulting firms, there's a fair difference.

Secondly, these unis would be pretty uncompetitive for MBB (strategy consulting) as these firms hire mostly from Oxbridge, LSE and LBS rather than the traditional semi-targets or non-targets you've mentioned. Management consulting firms like the big4, Accenture, IBM, PA Consulting, Bearings, Baring Point, Capgemini, etc are all very possible from the unis you mentioned but MBB firms will be very very difficult.
(edited 2 years ago)
I have met far more University of York grads in investment banking than the other 2. From Goldmans sachs to Morgan Stanley.

However, all of them are fine as long as you are a good candidate - good degree, extra curricular, passion and knowledge for IB, work experience etc
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Crypro888
I have met for more University of York grads in investment banking than the other 2. From Goldmans sachs to Morgan Stanley.

However, all of them are fine as long as you are a good candidate - good degree, extra curricular, passion and knowledge for IB, work experience etc

University of York grads tend to do better and have better representation than Exeter, but it's not a strong semi-target (doesn't mean it's a bad university) compared to Nottingham, which a few banks really love and recruit from heavily. From the top of my mind, Deutsche, Citi, and BofA all actively recruit from Nottingham. For York, I think Santander targets it, MUFG maybe, but by and large it tends to just be bright York students making it, rather than investment banks actively targeting it. Maybe it'll change in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending