The Student Room Group

Official Computer Science Applicants Thread 2022

Are you applying to study Computer Science at University in 2022? Then this is the place for you!

Post below with details about your...

Course:
Universities you're applying to:
Predicted Grades:
GCSEs:

Share as much detail as you’d like and connect with other students!

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here as well as subject applicant threads here :
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6630884

Scroll to see replies

Original post by username5561114
Are you applying to study Computer Science at University in 2022? Then this is the place for you!

Course:
Predicted Grades:
GCSEs:

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here as well as subject applicant threads here :

Hey,

I'm applying for computer science at Aston, Coventry, University of Birmingham, and 2 others just to fill the 5.
I'm currently doing a BTEC in computing with predicted grades of D*D*D*,
For my GCSE's I got two 7s, two 6s, and 2 L2Ds.
I'm applying for CS at King's, Edinburgh, Imperial, UCL and Oxford. Am from India CBSE board. How important are Grade 11 marks? In Grade 10 board exams, I got a 100 each in Maths and Comp Sci with an overall of 96%. What are my chances? Would really appreciate any help
Original post by pavanchauhan
I'm applying for CS at King's, Edinburgh, Imperial, UCL and Oxford. Am from India CBSE board. How important are Grade 11 marks? In Grade 10 board exams, I got a 100 each in Maths and Comp Sci with an overall of 96%. What are my chances? Would really appreciate any help

You got good enough marks. You should definately read the Oxford University Offical Website because all the information is there. Good Luck with your Quest.

Oxford and most other UK Universities dont care about class 11 marks. I know that Imperial did ask for class 11 marks for some subjects for international students. Not sure if they will do it this year,
hiya,

I am hopefully applying to computer science at Birmingham, Exeter, Bristol...maybe Imperial or King's if I'm confident I'll get the right grade.

I currently have A-Levels in Biology, History, and Chemistry (AAA) but I'm also currently studying A-Level Maths in hopes of getting an A/A*.
My GCSEs were 5 A*'s and 8 A's with a Distinction in Level 2 Additional Maths.

I've taken a year out after sixth form and realised that computer science was my passion and I'm now trying to apply to uni this year with the hopes of getting my maths. Does anyone have any advice or just general support that I have a shot at getting into these uni's and or any ways I can further my interest in the subject over this year? (I'm kind of a noob apart from some online comp sci and programming courses I'm currently doing) :0
Original post by jassowal
Oxford and most other UK Universities dont care about class 11 marks. I know that Imperial did ask for class 11 marks for some subjects for international students. Not sure if they will do it this year,

Thanks a lot
Between St Andrews and KCL, which is better for Comp Sci?
Reply 8
Course: Computer Science & Electronics (because I'm mainly interested in operating systems, drivers, kernels which requires an understanding of the hardware)

Universities you're applying to: Imperial, UCL, Edinburgh, Warwick, Bristol (potentially cambridge instead of warwick/bristol but they don't have a Computer Science & Electronics course so probably not)

Grades: A* A* A* A* A in Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science, Economics, Physics
GCSEs: 5A*, 3A, 2B (A*s in Maths, science, french, geo, As in english language, religious studies, history, Bs in english literature and music -_-)

On a gap year, where I'm doing work experience at Amazon Web Services. Wrote about a number of projects in my personal statement, like a 32-bit kernel built from scratch using x86 assembly language and C, a Linux-based operating system I made when I was in Year 7 that got >100,000 downloads, some machine learning models like one that can identify traffic signs (like stop signs, speed limits) from a picture with 98% accuracy and some other stuff. I also contribute to the Linux kernel. (Still trying to figure out if I should link my github in my PS, some people say it's good, some say it's not)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Between St Andrews and KCL, which is better for Comp Sci?

Definitely St. Andrews, but if you have the grades for KCL (which is now A* A* A) and are willing to go to Scotland you could apply for Edinburgh which is much better than both and considered by most to be top 4 in the country for CS.
Reply 10
Original post by Lilah_cookie
hiya,

I am hopefully applying to computer science at Birmingham, Exeter, Bristol...maybe Imperial or King's if I'm confident I'll get the right grade.

I currently have A-Levels in Biology, History, and Chemistry (AAA) but I'm also currently studying A-Level Maths in hopes of getting an A/A*.
My GCSEs were 5 A*'s and 8 A's with a Distinction in Level 2 Additional Maths.

I've taken a year out after sixth form and realised that computer science was my passion and I'm now trying to apply to uni this year with the hopes of getting my maths. Does anyone have any advice or just general support that I have a shot at getting into these uni's and or any ways I can further my interest in the subject over this year? (I'm kind of a noob apart from some online comp sci and programming courses I'm currently doing) :0

Without A-Level Further Maths and A* A* A at A-Levels in your first sitting, which is their requirement, I wouldn't apply to Imperial. There are just too many applicants with straight A*s including Maths and Further Maths who still get rejected. It's insanely competitive.

I would definitely say you have a good shot at Birmingham and Exeter. Bristol was very competitive for Computer Science last year, and likely this year too, so that would definitely be a risky choice. King's suddenly changed their entry requirements for CS to A* A* A, which is sort of strange.

About furthering your interest in Computer Science, I would take CS50 first. Unlike what most people think, computer science personal statements should not only be about programming (computer science is not just programming). You would be better off having your personal statement 50% about programming and then 50% about maths or theoretical computer science (you could write about something like turing machines, or algorithms). After you do CS50, there are follow up courses on AI and web-development if that's your thing.
Reply 11
Original post by username5561114

Course:
Predicted Grades:
GCSEs:

Course : Bsc Computer Science
Unis: not too sure but maybe UoB , Sheffield , Manchester (their entry requirements are a madness) , and two others
Predicteds: A*A*A*
GCSE's: 99998887766
Reply 12
Original post by nyarosu
Course: Computer Science & Electronics (because I'm mainly interested in operating systems, drivers, kernels which requires an understanding of the hardware)

Universities you're applying to: Imperial, UCL, Edinburgh, Warwick, Bristol (potentially cambridge instead of warwick/bristol but they don't have a Computer Science & Electronics course so probably not)

Grades: A* A* A* A* A in Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science, Economics, Physics
GCSEs: 5A*, 3A, 2B (A*s in Maths, science, french, geo, As in english language, religious studies, history, Bs in english literature and music -_-)

On a gap year, where I'm doing work experience at Amazon Web Services. Wrote about a number of projects in my personal statement, like a 32-bit kernel built from scratch using x86 assembly language and C, a Linux-based operating system I made when I was in Year 7 that got >100,000 downloads, some machine learning models like one that can identify traffic signs (like stop signs, speed limits) from a picture with 98% accuracy and some other stuff. I also contribute to the Linux kernel. (Still trying to figure out if I should link my github in my PS, some people say it's good, some say it's not)

are you like some genius damn
Reply 13
Original post by d.ona
are you like some genius damn

Definitely not, I've just been interested in computers for a really long time.
Reply 14
Original post by nyarosu
Definitely St. Andrews, but if you have the grades for KCL (which is now A* A* A) and are willing to go to Scotland you could apply for Edinburgh which is much better than both and considered by most to be top 4 in the country for CS.

Who is considered top 4 in the country for CS?

How does that change if you want to do a joint CS& Math degree?
Reply 15
Original post by CH971
Who is considered top 4 in the country for CS?

How does that change if you want to do a joint CS& Math degree?

It's gonna depend on who you ask and what specifically in CS you want to study, but in general i'd say Cambridge 1st, Oxford 2nd, Imperial 3rd, Edinburgh 4th.

For CS + Maths, i think warwick would be a good choice because it's really well known for Maths and well known for CS, and all of the above are good too ^^
Reply 16
Original post by nyarosu
It's gonna depend on who you ask and what specifically in CS you want to study, but in general i'd say Cambridge 1st, Oxford 2nd, Imperial 3rd, Edinburgh 4th.

For CS + Maths, i think warwick would be a good choice because it's really well known for Maths and well known for CS, and all of the above are good too ^^

Appreciate. Which entry exams best to write?
Reply 17
Original post by CH971
Appreciate. Which entry exams best to write?

Only Oxford/Cambridge do proper entrance exams for CS. TMUA if you apply to Cambridge, MAT if you apply to Oxford. Imperial has one too, but it's online, non-proctored and very easy from what I've heard.
Reply 18
Original post by nyarosu
Only Oxford/Cambridge do proper entrance exams for CS. TMUA if you apply to Cambridge, MAT if you apply to Oxford. Imperial has one too, but it's online, non-proctored and very easy from what I've heard.

Thank you
So Warwick Discrete Math
KCL
Edinburgh
Manchester etc

will not require entrance exams
Reply 19
Original post by CH971
Thank you
So Warwick Discrete Math
KCL
Edinburgh